Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with comparison of DMM's.

irishluck

Mar 12, 2014
Got a new job and they told me that I need to get a new better quality meter.
Told me a good one they use is a Flux 117.

From my understanding though you pay alot of that just for the name.

Are there any other good quality meters out there that are pretty close to a flux 117?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Never heard of a flux brand.
Do you mean Fluke?
Anyhow, all depends on the range of your application.
i.e. low voltage electronics, plug in portable mains powered equipment, etc etc.

irishluck

Mar 12, 2014
Well Ill be wiring PLC circuits. So I need a meter that can troubleshoot the wiring if needed.
I think if I seen right that the board runs off 24v

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
You should buy the best multimeter you can afford. You will be using this meter for the rest of your career. Fluke is a good reliable brand, but I have had good success using B&K Precision multimeters. The B&K series is updated often, so a meter you purchase today may not be available in a year or two. That doesn't mean your meter becomes obsolete. B&K likes to use the most cost-effective technology currently available. Look at the B&K Model 393 as an alternative to the Fluke 117. You will learn to appreciate the extra digit of resolution and accuracy. Plan on spending about $200 for a good digital multimeter.

You should also consider purchasing an analog meter with a taut-wire D'Arsenval mirrored-scale meter movement and a DC sensitivity of at least 20,000 ohms/volt. Many techs and engineers think analog meters are obsolete, but you will find them very handy for looking at voltage trends from a distance. It is easy to watch a needle move across an analog meter face from a much greater distance than you can comfortably read a digital display. Unfortunately, high-quality analog meters are expensive, probably because the market for them is disappearing.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
As an addition to Hevans1944, look at the Cat ratings as well.
If you have no intention of going near incoming mains, perhaps cat 2 or 3 would suffice.

Attachments

• CatRatings.jpg
    CatRatings.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 94

irishluck

Mar 12, 2014
Im pretty much just looking at working in a career with low voltage.
Nothing to crazy but you never know where it might take me.

But I just got a job wiring PLC circuits and we haven't even touched PLC's yet ha So don't know anything about them.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
The Fluke 117 is a pretty decent meter, it will set you back around $200.
Considered the electricians meter.
I wouldn't restrict your self to very low voltage as PLC's can be installed to control high voltage devices, albeit often indirectly.
M.

irishluck

Mar 12, 2014
So a fluke 117 would be the ideal meter for me i guess.
Im more studying to be an electronics technician so I guess that can be in a range of things.

Guess that's what Ill buy.