Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help on a door design, need creativity!

zZanthraXx

Jun 22, 2008
Hello all, as you can see i'm new to the forums, but i was hoping there will be some creative people here to help me with my "problem". In any case, what i'm trying to do is make a pocket door (a door that slides in/out of the wall) opperate on its own! There are kits to do this, such as for handicapped people, however these kids are Very expensive, so I was wondering if anyone out there has solved a simmilar problem before, or at least where to even start.

My vision was to have the door open as I approuched it, however i'm also attemping (in the works) to build my own touch sensitive buttons (capacitance... maybe resistance if i can't figure it out :p) so button activation would work too... The door does not have to be super responsive, i'm doing it for the cool factor, i'm not handicapped myself. (starwars, perhaps startek effect).

One last thing, the area has only just been framed, so i have an easy area to work with. I have also considered a type of mat to go under the carpet. But turning it on/off is not my entire problem, mainly, what should i use to move the door? Obvious problems are that the door needs to open if the power is out, so hydralics could be problematic. I've wondered perhaps ways to do it wiht magnets, as the break down rate would be minimal, and they would be sighlent. hmm... lemme know what you guys think! price is sorta an objective, i cant blow hundreds on it, so stay a little realistic with your creativity :) Thanks!

neon

Oct 21, 2006
an LM555 can be implemented for touch control and timing. there are gabs of info on this chip how to use it. the lm555 may need assistance to drive a decent type of motor maybe a bike chain and a spring to open it fast. the motor to reposition the door.

steveycocktail

Sep 1, 2009
hiya - are you still after a solution to this ... just joined and read your post.

steve

jlinstrom

Sep 23, 2009
door design

spring load it to open on pwer loss. Latch to hold solenoids.
Coupla co. make cap. sense devices for the touch/near touch sensing.
Great idea, BTW.
I am adding pocket doors to our home addition and making reed switch sensors for area lighting (doors put wall switch ~ 3' from opening).
This is very S/F! Best of luck.

john