Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help.. Adcom GCD 575 cd just took a poop

McIntoshXR7

Dec 10, 2010
As you may have guessed from the title my cd box is on the fritz. It's too cool to scrap so I am pleading for some guidance. It started to make a crackling sound on occasion but now does it continuously and no music can be heard. I removed the cover and cleaned the lazer and general area with and air duster. For being 22 years old it is very clean inside with little or no dust. I have tried all 3 audio outputs ( fixed, variable and head phone jack) and they all have the save crackling sound. The printed circuit board looks pristine with no burn marks etc. All of the micro connectors look clean and tight as well. I cannot get the sound to change no matter what connector I wiggle. The crackle sound almost sounds cd speed related, like a scraping noise. Please give it your best WAG (wild ass guess) or just tell me I'm nuts.

Thank you people,

Tom

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
It's not related to the CD player portion or LASER. It's in the amplifier section or volume knob. On older stereo systems the volume pots start to give out which can cause terribly loud crackling and a static like noise.

Can any of the source audio be heard, even faintly? If so wiggle the volume knob and press on it. Could be the wiper or internal coating is worn. This is of course only accurate if your stereo doesn't have digital volume control.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My WAG is that there is an electrolytic capacitor somewhere that is used to decouple the amplifier from the power supply rails. My guess is that this has dried out and no longer prevents noise from the motor from reaching the amplifier.