Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ground issue in circuit

Johnsonmusicstudios

Aug 14, 2011
I have very little experience when it comes to circuits and so I am easily confused with simple stuff like grounding.

To start off, I wiring a single coil guitar pickup with a volume and tone knob. The pickup currently makes some sort of sound.. but there is a very loud hum. I suspect this to be a ground issue.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1singlecoil_1vol_1tone

That is the wiring diagram I attempted to follow.

The potentiometers I am using are not housed in metal so I can not solder wires and such to the back of them as the diagram shows.
The changes I made were:
1.Solder the end of the capacitor that should be soldered on the back of the pot to the right-most pin of the other pot.
2.Used the right-most pin of the top pot as the soldering point for everything that should be soldered on the back of that pot.

This seemed logical to me (then again I have little experience) because the capacitor gets wired over to that solder point anyways and the pin gets flipped over and soldered there as well.

However, I suspect that my problem would be my acoustic guitar does not have a "ground wire from the bridge" to solder to that point as well.

So I would like to know two things

1. if the modifications I made to the diagram are acceptable
2. if the problem is not having a ground wire from the bridge what can i use as a "ground"

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Grounding problem

Hi there
In the uk we have grounding as a standard third green/yellow wire on almost every thing, if there is no ground wire in the amp, try grounding to the chassis of the amp, i don't do much audio stuff, only my radios, in as much as music audio, only the odd CD player/tape/ amp repair. Try grounding to the amps chassis, or on the amps pcb there is probably a grounding pad to solder to, its normally marked on the pcb GND. Dave. :)

Johnsonmusicstudios

Aug 14, 2011
so, i took everything apart, and rewired everything, and somehow.... it works!

no idea what i did :/ thank you for your input tho!

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Grounding problem

Hi there, pleased its soughted out for you, nice one. Dave.