Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fluke 179 Repair

RubiconJoe

Oct 7, 2014
I bought a used Fluke 179 a while ago, and as I have been using it since. I have noticed some functions are not working correctly. The two issues I have found so far are with the continuity function and AC volts meter, The continuity mode works most of the time, but sometimes it does not,

DC volt meter seems to work fine, but I tried to measure AC volts to test a transformer and it is way off. At mains voltage it was reading around 200 or so mV.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong, or repairing a fluke meter? I have not opened it up yet to see if any components are obviously fried. Will do this weekend and give an update.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

elebish

Aug 16, 2013
If there is a function or mode selector switch, clean it first. The next thing to look for would be a fusible device internally or a burned component at the input. Also look for a bad connection by wiggling wires and components. Ed.

RubiconJoe

Oct 7, 2014
I opened up the meter and didn't see any visibly burnt components. I cleaned the contacts of rotary switch as well as the banana input plugs. Tested the fuses and turns out the 11A fuse is open. Guess it was blown! Ordered one today and hopefully this is an easy fix. Thanks for the input elebish.

Joe