Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Faston/ Blade Connectors

SamPoser

Apr 1, 2014
I am looking for some robust female blade/faston connectors with one connection. In particular, without a crimp connection and more durable for multiple attachments and removals. I have been doing some searching myself but I thought I would see if anyone has any knowledge of where to find something like this. Thanks

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Panduit and Ideal are the best quality I've seen. There is another type where the socket is sprung instead of just dependent on friction from a curled bit of metal. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Here's one: Page 12 in this catalog has low insertion force female disconnects in bronze and steel. They are still crimped to the wire though.

http://www.te.com/commerce/Document...ERMINALS_-_FULL_CATALOG&DocType=CS&DocLang=EN

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
Why do you not want a crimp? What mechanism of attachment do you want instead? Are you using solid or stranded wire?

John

SamPoser

Apr 1, 2014
The crimp connection hasn’t been durable enough for continuous removal and attachments (the faston connectors are part of a line fixture). The crimp connection slips after operators use them for a while. We are using stranded wire. I wasn't looking for any specific mechanism, just something different to experiment with.
Thanks for your help.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Maybe the low insertion force connector crimped to test lead cable with an overmolded grip to protect the crimp can work.

It wouldn't surprise me if E-Z Hook made exactly what you need but you'd have to ask them since it's not in their catalog.

http://www.e-z-hook.com/

Last edited:

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
There are few connection methods that are cheaper or more reliable than a good crimp connection. If the wire is slipping out, either the crimp isn't made properly or the operators are pulling on the wire, something they shouldn't be doing if it can be helped. Soldering can prevent wire slippage, but the formation of intermetallics means the wire/connector interface can be more brittle and subject to earlier breakage (consult a metallurgist, as some type of brazing may be a better approach). The proper solution is probably a molded strain relief if you're forced to use spade connectors; if not, I'd approach the application engineers at the connector companies, explain your problem, and ask for their advice for the best solution. If it's just for manufacturing tooling rather than a production item, you can afford to find some more appropriate connectors.

k7sparky

Mar 7, 2012
What size wire are you using?
Are using the super flex wire or just stranded?
From memory super flex for swing out switchboard panels is around #14 / 46, #12 / 60
A roll of #20 I dug out is 19/32 like in 19 strands of 32 - usually refereed to as #20 / 19.

AMP makes lugs as good as they get. Their tooling is spendy and does mil spec crimps on both wire and insulation that also acts as strain relief. I doubt lugs installed with their tooling will come loose. Their tooling IMHO is one place you get what you pay for.

The AMP tools are ratcheting so you get it right every time. Way back I ask why 2 different length handles The AMP rep said the short ones were for guys and long for gals to use. HINT buy the long handles. A few thousand crimps with the short ones will cause pain and agony. May not make the short handles any longer - I never want to see another set. I palmed off the short handles I had on a nubie (who has probably retired by now).

I've used AMP crimp alligators & boots on test lead wire for mufti-meters (starting when we carried Simpson 260) that were still there when the leads were totally worn out. The alligators may ware out, but normal failure mode is getting stepped on or trying to jam on too big a contact and breaking the jaw. Or the spectacular failure when you power something with the leads in the wrong place.