Maker Pro
Maker Pro

English electronics store advice Please

Wotan

Oct 8, 2011
I am looking to buy an ac/dc adaptor and a barrel jack socket. This is so I can use the ac/dc adaptor to use mains power for my breadboards voltage supply.

The barrel jack socket and how it would be connected to the breadboard can be seen in this video-

I would prefer to go to a store and buy these items instead of buying them online since I would be able to get them faster. Is Maplin my best bet or is there another store that sells electronic components etc in England? There are two Maplins not too far from me so maybe I would be best going there. Also, are barrel jack sockets known by any other name? I can definitely get the adaptor from Maplin but I'm not sure if they sell barrel jack sockets.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi Wotan. I do some times go for the quick option and get some bits from maplins, but it very expensive, i know you said not on line, but mail order can be done with ESR electronic components and a fraction of maplins prices, i place my order on paper usually a print out on the pc, but ive written orders out lots of times. They stock every thing and the prices are the UK's best. Two or three days is all it takes from tynes and wear newcastle to me in Ramsgate Kent. Maplins is expensive.
Dave.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I would point to the jack and say "I want a socket for this".

That's one benefit of going in in person -- you can check it there and then :)

As to whether Maplin's is OK, I have no idea. I guess you're about 1/3 of a world away from me. I've heard people speaking of Maplins, but I have no personal experience.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
This is true, if your unsure of a size of socket or jack, then yes maybe maplins. All i know is my use of maplins has spiraled out of control in cost, when ive left the store looked at what ive got i thought Aaaa not much, but empty wallet. If you know what your looking for ESR electronics would be my first look, and there are links to stores on the forum, two others ive had orders from is Crickelwood electronis, and NR Barrdwells electronics, both them have deals on some component lines, again mail order.