Maker Pro
Maker Pro

electronic technician

jeff2005

May 13, 2010
Hi, im new to the forum and about ready to get out of school. im going to be getting a electronic engineering degree. i was wondering what is the best place to start, i want to learn about troubleshooting, should i try to find a tv and electronic repair place to get my hands on? or what can i do at the house to learn more. i learn best with hands on then in a class room.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Where do you study? I ask this because the nature of your other posts do not indicate that your course has been overly good at preparing you for fault finding.

It may well be that your course is very theoretical, and that is not necessarily a criticism.

If you can find someone who still does repairs, and if they're willing (and able) to put you on, then you could try. I would imagine that most independent TV & electronic repair places are on pretty thin margins these days, if they have not already gone under. I can remember when there were three of them within easy distance of me. Now there are none.

jeff2005

May 13, 2010
a local community college, they dont teach much on troubleshooting, just the basics of circuits and devices. they can write things on the board and tell me about them but enless i get to work on something hands on i dont learn well.

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
jeff,

First "electronic 'engineering' degree", almost everywhere, is considered a 4-year degree. This said, is so you don't confuse potential employers. Repair of consumer electronics is pretty much a dying field. Depending on what you find fastening in electronics, industrial electronics tech jobs are more likely to get your feet wet. Installation Tech is a common starting point. It starts out as "plug connector A into socket B", but gets you experienced in troubleshooting systems, and later into subsystems and components.

Ken

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
I agree with Jeff that an "electronic engineering degree" is a 4 year college degree which you do not have.

If you tell a potential employer that you have an "electronic engineering degree" and then it turns out that all you have is a 2 year community college degree or a 3-6 month "technical training" course (which is what I suspect from your posts), you will get shown the door in a hurry even if they have job openings for technicians. On the other hand, companies that are looking for technicians will not give you the time of the day because someone with an "electronic engineering degree" is over-qualified.

Step #1 of job hunting is be honest about your education, experience and abilities.

You can do a search on my posting history and you will dig up a fairly extensive post I did a few months back responding to someone who was in the same situation as you and wondering about his job prospects.

Good luck.

---55p

Last edited:

jeff2005

May 13, 2010
thanks guys, im just trying to get started in electronics field, i still have a lot to learn though.