Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question regarding getting a job as electronic technician

mtgent101

Jan 9, 2016
I have not worked in electronics since I retired. I was a test engineer. I thought I would be able to get a job as a electronics technician but I've learned that employers are only interested in applicants who have been employed recently.

So here is my question: What do I have to do to become employable as an electronic technician?

Thanks in advance,

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
A lot of people in the U.S. took extreme advantage of the 7 1/2 year government policy of getting freebies for not working. As a result, employers are loath to hire what they consider to be slackers.
I'd write my resume emphasizing hands-on experience in whatever equipment that particular employer is seeking
knowledge of. Find out what specialized instruments that company's techs use and make sure you're familiar with them. I know very few who will provide you the opportunity to demonstrate your skills during an interview. They
ask what you know and drill-down verbally to find-out if you know what you're doing, or are just feeding them a line.
You asked what you have to do to become employable as an elec tech. My input is that you have to know whatever
equipment that particular employer uses regularly. Research the company product or products, and review data on the test equipment required to maintain that equipment. It's all about finding-out what each individual employer needs, and fine-tuning your resume for each potential employer to emphasize ability in the area of expertise that they're looking for. It helps a lot if you find-out as much about the company that you can, and express an interest in whatever their particular product line is... WITH a believable list of reasons why.
The kids my company has been hiring lately are coddled children who believe they are entitled to things. I'd make it a point to let them know you're old-school in that you show-up for work on time, don't talk on your personal cell-phone all day, or surf the internet when nobody's looking. In my day they called it work ethic. The kids
today have no idea what that means.
Good luck, and though it may be difficult to do, display a positive attitude to the interviewer, and enthusiasm for
wanting to work for them. Employers don't care if you're an expert on test and measurement instruments that they don't use. They want to know if you know how to use the ones they have.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
So here is my question: What do I have to do to become employable as an electronic technician?

If employers are not interested, check out free lancing as a technician, if there is any kind of manuf. industry there, often the Maint. electrician or electrical contracting companies are not familiar with Industrial electronics.
That is how I made my money in semi retirement.
When a critical machine is down, the whole line can be down, if successful, you can name your own price!:cool:
M.