Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DPDT RELAY

jonnydot

Oct 9, 2013
Hi guy's need a little help with gear and a how to wiring schematic,I am building an automatic egg turner for an incubator I have these bits ... http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/56mm-pmdc-planetary-1.3-rpm-40nm-1900-1.html ... .I have one of these to run it http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-110V-...Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item5d39c3163a and one of these to time it http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=115 .I would like to know what you would recommend as micro switches and what I need to make the motor reverse every second on cycle (DPDT relay to reverse motor polarity ? with micro switch's?). The motor has to lift for the first cycle and push for the second and so on approx every couple of hours to rock the eggs approx 45o,The lift and pull would only last 1-2 minutes . I would love it if some one had the time to draw me a wiring schematic with some Ebay links for parts :) I am 240 volt savy and have done plenty of basic DIY house wiring ./itm/281154111253?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 Many Thanks for your valuable time and best regards Jonnydot

jonnydot

Oct 9, 2013
I have been advised that a Programmable logic controller will do the job would any one have info on what sort would be best for my needs and links to sites for purchase?

Fish4Fun

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!
Aug 27, 2013
jonnydot,

With all due respect, a first post that includes,

I would love it if some one had the time to draw me a wiring schematic with some Ebay links for parts :)

is not likely to solicit much help. I, like many here, can think of dozens of ways to approach your project; and, I think it is safe to say, like others here, have absolutely no desire to provide you with a turn-key solution. If you want to pick a direction and need some advice, we are all here to help. If you need help picking a direction I am certain you could get several opinions. If you want a full-blown, multiple discipline, engineered solution you should contract an engineering firm; I would expect for somewhere between $5k and $50k you could get exactly what you have asked for. Alternatively you could consider purchasing a commercially available product for ~$50 ( https://www.google.com/#q=egg+turner ).

In presenting your project as you have, you have made the a priori assumption that people with technical knowledge and skills would be willing to devote their efforts to a project you yourself are not willing or capable of doing the same to, the implication being that you think with free help you might be able to build an egg turner for less than $50.

You need to understand that technical forums exist because professionals with real knowledge, jobs and families have a desire to help others learn. They do not have a desire to spend what could easily turn into hundreds of hours helping you save some percentage of $50; at least no forum I have ever visited.

So, my suggestion is that you order an egg turner. If you want to learn about electronics, or have a particular area where you need help or advice in electronics, this is a great place chock full of people willing to help, but if your goal is an egg turner, buy one.

Fish

jonnydot

Oct 9, 2013
I already have egg turners as you suggest ,however I am altering a vintage incubator that is a lever action turner to a automatic turner and you cannot purchase a commercial auto mechanism to suit .I have as stated basic electrical knowledge but none in electronics that is why I asked for assistance on a once off project .I have devoted considerable research but the facts are I have no idea of where to go next per electronic issues ,this is why I asked for assistance ,to build a small auto turn (42 egg ) is an easy off the shelf parts list ,to build an auto turn for 1350 eggs is another story .Thanks for your support I will try else where

Fish4Fun

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!
Aug 27, 2013
I will try else where

By all means, godspeed and good luck! However, if I might suggest, you should reconsider your approach. You provided far more information in your 3rd post than in your previous two posts combined. Furthermore, a large grade "A" egg weighs ~2oz; 1350 of said eggs would weigh roughly 168lbs. This of course presumes we are talking about chicken eggs, ostriches and sparrows would offer differing weight calculations.

Long before this becomes an electronics problem it is a physics/mechanics problem. Assuming you have that solved, and all you need is a circuit that reverses the direction of a DC motor every "on cycle", your problem resolves to simple logic, similar to the logic in a common household 3-way switch circuit like this: http://s3switch.blogspot.com/ with a few caveats to reverse the motor and maintain the state.

Alternatively, you could simply connect the lever to be driven in bi-directionally with your motor moving in a single direction much like a piston/crankshaft in an IC engine. In this scenario you might be able to complete your task w/o any new electronic parts at all, lol, or worst case a single limit switch.

But prior to drawing anything up, you really need to choose how you want to solve this and ask for help specific to that. If you are having trouble with motor reversing/stopping/starting via relays/limit switches then ask about that, don't ask for a solution with a diagram and parts links. As I said, many here more than willing to help, just not engineer a solution for you, lol.

Fish