Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Current source for a Capacimeter

Sami issam

Jan 18, 2018
hey , i just have this project of making a capacimeter for calculating the capacities of batteries in Ah from 9 V to 12 V , my idea is to charge the battery , and then discharge it with a constant current by connecting a current source with the battery in the same branch , and mesuring the batterie's tension and counting the time using a PIC microcontroller ,the current value i need is about 1 A . this is the synoptic (below) and i'm just looking for some good schematics for my current source that fits my circuit .

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 139

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Look at image 3.1 here.

The linear constant current driver that is used for a LED in this case can be used as a constant current load on a battery.

You can include the LED if you want to, or select a resistor suited to the discharge voltage of the battery, or remove it completely.

Make sure that the transistor carrying the load is appropriately heatsinked.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Look at image 3.1 here.

The linear constant current driver that is used for a LED in this case can be used as a constant current load on a battery.

You can include the LED if you want to, or select a resistor suited to the discharge voltage of the battery, or remove it completely.

Make sure that the transistor carrying the load is appropriately heatsinked.
I agree with Steve. I have used the circuits shown in 3.1 and 3.4 hundreds of times down the years. They both work well.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The capacity of a battery varies with the discharge rate, so you should allow for a variable current. Also, what are you going to ise for the end criterion?

Bob