Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Course Choice

Integrator741

Jun 16, 2013
Hi,

This year I've finished year 1 of my BEng Electrical and Electronics degree (Part-time); I also started working in construction industry and I found it very interesting and with big potential for future research.
When I started working there, I realised that while I am doing part time BEng, I might as well get a trade, so I started doing my NVQ 3 in Electro technical technology (C&G 2357) and 17 th edition (BS7671); While I was doing that, I realised that there is so much more in construction industry (relating electrical engineering) and I started enjoying my "side" courses more than my BEng.
So I spoke with a few people and they advised my to change my degree to Power Electronics (http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/courses/course-finder/electrical-engineering-and-power-electronics-beng-hons), I looked through the course and modules and I see that I like it and it would be a much better choice because I kind of want to stick with this industrial environment.
But the thing is I was really looking forward to analogue and digital electronics design (in my current BEng) and gaining knowledge in "Application specific integrated circuit" design, but I won't be able to do that if I choose Power electronics and now I kind of don't really know what to dd and how to plan my studies and career.

Thank you.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
The best choice of course, of course is to choose the course that's fine, not coarse. :) Sorry, my impulse control module has an intermittent fault in the alliteration section.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Have you thought of doing one course or the other and doing electives from the course you didn't choose.

Or investigate a double major.

Your university is the best to advise you on your options.

There is no perfect degree.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Talk to the university about the elective units. Maybe you can do EE with power electronics electives or vice versa. Maybe you can do a double major.