Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Connecting copper and iron wires

circuitmaker

Mar 20, 2024
Hi everyone,
In my little project, I need to run a current of 4.5V through a 1mm wire made of iron. Will I have any issues by clamping it with a copper clip? Will this insulated connection corrode over time outdoors? Any better solution?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to maker.pro!
The thread title refers to connecting wires, but you mentiion insulation. Are you referring to electrical or mechanical connection?
Insulation between the iron and copper should prevent corrosion, providing the insulation extends beyond the clamp region. A coating of varnish or other protection over the assembly would improve things.

circuitmaker

Mar 20, 2024
Welcome to maker.pro!
The thread title refers to connecting wires, but you mentiion insulation. Are you referring to electrical or mechanical connection?
Insulation between the iron and copper should prevent corrosion, providing the insulation extends beyond the clamp region. A coating of varnish or other protection over the assembly would improve things.
Sorry about the confusion. I meant physically and electrically connected copper and iron wires. The connection is going to be insulated to prevent moisture.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
insulated connection corrode over time outdoors?

Thermal expansion coefficients dissimilar metals alloys it's not recommended, current carrying conductors will produce electrolysis and corrode at the point of contact.
I need to run a current of 4.5V through a 1mm wire made of iron
How much current? what is the length of wire? And how do you know it's made of iron? This will give you the time, the years it will last, before failure. Again not recommended...

circuitmaker

Mar 20, 2024
Thermal expansion coefficients dissimilar metals alloys it's not recommended, current carrying conductors will produce electrolysis and corrode at the point of contact.

How much current? what is the length of wire? And how do you know it's made of iron? This will give you the time, the years it will last, before failure. Again not recommended...
It is quite long, maybe 10-20 meters. It is a coated galvanized steel cable. The current is quite low, less than 1 amp.

poormystic

Jul 23, 2023
Hi :)
It's nearly always true that dissimilar metals make poor electrical companions.
I can think of 2 solutions 1) use a good, hot soldering iron to solder a long contact between the wires, and 2) coat whatever kind of connection you decide on with a little skin of petroleum jelly.
By the way (and I know this might be unwanted advice) - domestic silicone sealants give off acetic acid as they cure, which would probably form verdigris with the copper, especially when iron is also present to catalyse that change. So I think silicones won't work .
The main issue I see with the clips onto the wire is that they make a very small area of contact, which due to its tininess is easily disturbed.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Just join them on a terminal strip, terminal block, crimping, riveting, or solder as both accept soldering fine. 1 Ampere will not give trouble. Cover the splice with silicone or shrink tube, or vulcanizing rubber tape compound.

These mounted inside a plastic electrical box will be great :

1714863214728.png

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Any better solution?
Clean the iron wire with a file so it is shining bright, wrap copper wire around the iron, a few drops of "Bakers Soldering fluid" and solder the connection with a large soldering iron and 60/40 tin/lead solder. It will be immediately obvious by the smooth solder finish if you have done it correctly.
Liberally wash and dry the area afterwards with water. Insulate with glue type heat shrink........ done.