Maker Pro
Maker Pro

BUSHNELL radar gun outputs

ts1

Feb 7, 2012
Hello friends,

I have a BUSHNELL radar gun here and I need to know how to get the outputs from its circuit before entering the display circuit. I mean as a voltage or bits not displayed.

That's in order to feed them to a controller.

From inside its circuit is:
PROGRESS INSTRUMENTS INC 38005-045-01 REV D FILTER BRD

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi welcome to the forums :)

is this a speed detector ? if si it is likely to have a Gunn oscillator transmitter in one waveguide cavity on either 10GHz or 24GHz and receiver mixer diode either along the same cavity or in a separate one beside the Gunn cavity

some sharp pics would help any circuit info etc else were are all just guessing as to its current mode of operation

Dave

ts1

Feb 7, 2012
Hi davenn and thank you very much
I am really in need for help so thanks again

Yes it is a speed detector
I am attaching 2 photos, one of the main crt. and the other for the LED screen. the thing is I want to feed the output to a microcontroller but I cant determine.

Thank you!dscn9941a_523.jpg

dscn9946a_262.jpg

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The ability to hack is limited only by the availability of information. Construction methods are almost irrelevant unless you're talking about stuff integrated onto a single chip.

If you can identify the main components and get data on them, all you need is experience and skills.

Renos Papapaschos

Jul 12, 2019
Hi davenn and thank you very much
I am really in need for help so thanks again

Yes it is a speed detector
I am attaching 2 photos, one of the main crt. and the other for the LED screen. the thing is I want to feed the output to a microcontroller but I cant determine.

Thank you!View attachment 3589

View attachment 3590
Hello from Athens Greece.
I have a problem with the circuit board that you have in this port.
The component 08 on the top left is blown and I am trying to find it.
I thing that is a voltage regulator with the letter on top 21 2c .
can you held me identify this.
Thank you very much for your help.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Renos . . . .

Look around the board for the different components designations assignments.
You definitely see the system u/p assigned as being a U4 and additionly look at its s ... l... o... o... o ... o ... w clock crystal.
Its Mama must have been a digital wristwatch ?

Seems like one very minor I.C at board top, is seen to be U1 and below the u/p is being U2 and U3, and over at mid board bottom is U5
BUT . . . .getting on over to and up to your deeee-vice . . . . . it is being assigned Q8 . . . . . so if it looks , smells and waddles like a duck . . .it REALLY must be a transistor.
If being a 3 terminal regulator one would expect an U8 designation on it, along with the ever present input and output electroltyics RIGHT at its input and output

This must be a transistor and for that time frame of the board development of this unit I suspect a bipolar unit.
Your DVM used in Diode test mode will reveal all.

OR checking the left terminal as a base, the center one as the collector and with it having BOTH a bottom center terninal connection AND the top heat sink tab and the final 3rd terminal would be the emitter.
Is your assumption / analysis of it, as having an C-E short or opened internal emitter bond .
If shorted, pull the transistor and see of its collector is being fed with + polarity voltage if it happens to be an NPN unit. Opposite polarities if it is PNP.

HOWEVER . . . . . if you find NO continuity/short between the center tab and the heat sink tab and the parts nearby proximity to that 5 pin ribbon cable and is /has an INPUTTING gigahertz range signal.
The "21" parts marking code *** has one of its assignments as being a designation of the item below.
Its being a transistor built MMIC

BUT . . . . . . . I certainly believe that Mini-circuits wouldd be the only sourcing of this unit. with THEIR normal name marking on the unit, no coded marking.

marking codes ***
https://www.sphere.bc.ca/download/smd-codebook.pdf

https://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/GALI-21+.pdf

Thatssssssssit . . . . .

73's de Edd . . . . .

Madness absolutely takes its toll . . . . so, please have exact change.

Last edited: