Maker Pro
Maker Pro

bulb detection by "canbus" lightning controller

jerk

Oct 13, 2010
Hi,

I redone my stock halogen headlight to bixenon headlight and I redone the wiring as it is shown (I add a diode to enable high beam flashing durring daytime drive when only DRL are used).
Controller reports no problem for dipped beam bulb but high beam bulb is a problem.
1. If you turn off the lights (switch to position 0) and turn the ignition and then turn the lights on controler reports no error
2. If you leave lights on (switch to position auto) and then turn the ignition the controler reports high beam bulb error...
3. ... If you then turn the lights to off and flash high beam, high beam bulb error is cleared

Now I was wondering why is that and how to solve the problem.
If I understand correctly "canbus" controler detect burn out bulb by two measurments:
1. after ignition (bulb off) it sends some current through the bulb and measures voltage drop. If the bulb is ok then voltage drop should be minimum.
2. when the bulb is on it also measures voltage drop, but now it has to be in the right amount for 55W load. If it is not enough (let say 35W xenon ballast) is also reports the bulb error

So do you have any solutions, ideas....

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
:p
Hi,
I redone the wiring as it is shown (I add a diode to enable high beam flashing durring daytime.

Hey jerk, I don't understand how your diode enables high beam flashing. If anything, it would flash your dipped beam while you flash the high beams.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
A standard headlamp has a filament for low, and a filament for high.
The bixenon headlight has a bulb with only one filament that is used in both low and high beams. It has a shutter that changes position to give high beam.
The diode is being used to operate the shutter and also turn the bulb on for high beam flash.

The diode has to carry the full current of the low beam.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Ok, so the shutter is switched by the relay. I get that.
The bottom of the drawing has "high beam" (signal coming from the car wiring). Then, the diode allows current to also flow to the dipped lamp. But the signal still has to originate from the bottom (car high beam switch).

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Sound like you might need to add some Resistance (about 2 ohms) to fool the canbus into thinking its a 55w load instead of 35w? Not very efficient I admit, but would probably work.
I'd contact the manufacture first. It can't be the first time they have come across this.