Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to troubleshoot single dim bulb/socket on Delco radio pcb?

Sergeant_Dreizehn

Jan 16, 2024
Hello,

Sorry for disappearing for a few days; life threw a few things at me.

The radio is now fixed and reinstalled, and my mother is very glad to have it back!

It turned out the problem was the bulbs (plural) after all. While preparing to attach some jump wires, I decided to experiment a bit. As part of this, I tried a 4th different, new bulb in the socket so that I would have the longer leads to work with. It lit up normally while on the board without solder, so I decided to go ahead and solder it in for practice. But lo and behold, even after soldering, it still burned just as brightly as the rest!

Now consider this: between the instrument cluster and the radio, I soldered nearly two dozen bulbs and all but the very last one worked perfectly. Then, I somehow managed to pick all the defective ones in a row while trying to replace it. Why can't I get those kind of odds when playing the lottery?!
It's still strange how the defective bulbs behaved, but I'll happily leave that mystery behind.

Finally, thank you very, very much to everyone, H2814D especially, for all of your help and patience. The problem is solved, and I've learned a lot of new things to try the next time a PCB problem pops up.

Again, Thank You! :D

H2814D

Nov 4, 2017
Well done, Sergeant. You're welcome. Thanks for not giving up and for returning to let us know about your success. :)