Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Adcom GCD 575 laser replacement

deshlert

Aug 14, 2009
I have an Adcom GCD 575 that plays very nicely...when it doesn't skip. However, it is skipping more and more all the time. I can't get through a complete song now.

I was advised to take the cover off and carefully clean the laser with alcohol. After doing this, it still skips and am told that the laser is probably shot.

The unit has the Sony KSS-150A laser, which I understand has been replaced by the KSS-210A laser.

My question is can a complete novice do this swap?

I don't want to spend the $175-$200 that I've been quoted to get this replaced. But, I don't want to junk the unit because it sounds so nice when it is playing right.

What is involved in replacing the laser? Do I need special tools? Am I likely to mess up the unit if I try this?

Thanks all

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
It's usually simple to replace the laser unit. It usually just requires a jewelers screwdriver set (flat + philips). You'll need to be somewhat nimble to remove & replace the flat flexible cable(s) from the(ir) socket(s), but it's not really difficult.
But it could just as well be the spindle motor having worn bearings. If you have sensitive fingers you can feel this if you try rocking the spindle (CD) platter.
Skipping by this latter fault usually gets worse the farther out on the CD you get, and often improves by tilting the player 45-60 degrees either way.

Pdenny

Sep 13, 2009
replace laser p/u.As mentioned it is really a simple task if you have the mechanical skills. good luck