Maker Pro
Maker Pro

adapter question

VXtanyaXV

Jan 14, 2010
Hello,
I realize this is an extremely basic question but perhaps someone could at least point me in the right direction.
My router (wired) came with an adapter with the following numbers:
INPUT: 100-120V-0.5A 50-60Hz LF
OUTPUT: +5.0V -- 2A - == +

It stopped working (for unknown reasons).
The router works with another identical adapter but the original adapter does not provide power.

Can I use an adapter that has the following specs?
INPUT 100-240 V AC 50-60Hz
OUTPUT: 5V ------ 2A

Specifically: Would the 100-120V for input on the original be covered by the 100-240V?

Where can I find out what the numbers written on the adapters refer to?

Thanks

Neal

Dec 23, 2009
Hello,
I realize this is an extremely basic question but perhaps someone could at least point me in the right direction.
My router (wired) came with an adapter with the following numbers:

It stopped working (for unknown reasons).
The router works with another identical adapter but the original adapter does not provide power.

Can I use an adapter that has the following specs?

Specifically: Would the 100-120V for input on the original be covered by the 100-240V?

Where can I find out what the numbers written on the adapters refer to?

Thanks

Assuming you are located where the line voltage is 120 volts, then the replacement is fine.
The 50-60 hz in line frequency and the output is 5volts @ 2 amps.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Power in & out is ok, but:
Observe the polarity (symbol +C*- means center is negative, -C*+ means center is positive).
(the * is actually a dot in the center of the C, representing the physical layout of the plug)
Most power adapters have the center as the negative pole. Chargers usually have a positive center post.

VXtanyaXV

Jan 14, 2010
Power in & out is ok, but:
Observe the polarity (symbol +C*- means center is negative, -C*+ means center is positive).
(the * is actually a dot in the center of the C, representing the physical layout of the plug)
Most power adapters have the center as the negative pole. Chargers usually have a positive center post.

Hi and thank you.
What I can read are the following:
The Original adapter:
- C* +

The potential replacement adapter:
- C* +

So this would mean both adapters have the center as Positive?
Thanks again

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Yes it does, so you're good to go on all electrical aspects, but I forgot to ask if the center pin fits in the center hole. They are usually 2.1mm but can also be bigger (2.3mm). If the pin is 2.1 and the hole 2.3 it will still work but feels wobbly. It won't fit the other way around of course.

VXtanyaXV

Jan 14, 2010
Thanks for pointing this out! The original (broken) adapter's pin is significantly larger. It appears to have a yellow tip. So the potential replacement would wobble. Is there something to wrap around the narrow tip so it won't wobble? (BTW I have not tried it yet)

I found another adapter with a pin which would fit (It is "class 2" though)
Input AC 120V 60Hz 6.5 watts
Output 6VDC 200mA
-C*+
(It is for a land - line telephone)

I Found 1 more adapter for a scanner:
AC Input: 100V-120VAC 50/60Hz 25VA
DC Output: +12V === 1.25 A
V- O* V+ (I guess the circle replaces C? So this would have a positive center as well?)
Thanks again for your help!

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Neither of the last ones will work at all. You'll just have to try put in the replacement. If the outer was larger then the center pin may be large too. If it doesn't fit I'm not quite sure what to recommend. Plugs/ leads may be swapped but it requires tools & solder skills.
Last polarity makes no sense btw., could be a misprint, maybe a magnifying glass can reveal some more details.

VXtanyaXV

Jan 14, 2010
Neither of the last ones will work at all. You'll just have to try put in the replacement. If the outer was larger then the center pin may be large too. If it doesn't fit I'm not quite sure what to recommend. Plugs/ leads may be swapped but it requires tools & solder skills.
Last polarity makes no sense btw., could be a misprint, maybe a magnifying glass can reveal some more details.

Hi,
Thanks for replying.
The potential replacement will not fit - as you mention the center pin is too large.
In the mean time, the original "broken" adapter works now. (Maybe carrying it around did something?)

I don't see any more with a magnifying glass re: the polarity.
(AC Input: 100V-120VAC 50/60Hz 25VA
DC Output: +12V === 1.25 A
V- O* V+)

V - O V+
The center of the diagram (the bolded O) is like a donut with an outer ring and an inner ring:
The V – has a line ending on the outer (larger) ring; the V+ has a line ending on the inner ring.
It is a Bestec
Model number: BPA-201S-12
I.T.E. power supply
Level 3
Thanks very much!

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Ok! Maybe it has a fracture inside, or a break in the wire, that has shifted and is now in connection. Hold it there, don't move, don't breathe! ;)

Quote: "The V – has a line ending on the outer (larger) ring; the V+ has a line ending on the inner ring."
Ah, there's the giveaway; center positive. Sometimes they don't open the outer ring into a C, making it difficult to see where the center connection passes through..

alex88

Jan 20, 2010
Maybe just some liquid(water?) inside before, and now get dry. This happed to me before.