Maker Pro
Maker Pro

A device to defeat robocalls

winomaster

Jun 27, 2016
My aim is to have a way to force robocallers to stop calling my phone number. In particular, I want a way to prevent them from breaking the connection after they call my number. This would freeze the line while forcing them to rack up long distance charges. Though perhaps that is not possible if they are calling from a 1-800 line.

I read once that the police have a way to keep a line open even if the phone of the caller is hung up. This allows police time to trace the call. Anyone know of a way to accomplish this with an off the shelf electronic box. Or perhaps some other measure to beat back these criminals. Would an air powered horn, blast them in the ears without destroying my own phone? I'm sick to death that the government will do nothing about this problem.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I think the telephone company would frown rather heavily on any mods you intend to carry out on their systems.
Not to mention the laws you could be breaking.

debe

Oct 15, 2011
Change your phone from your carrier to phone over the internet. Once I did this I had a new number cheeper calls. Also the new number is harder for robo calls to find. So unless you are handing out your phone number the calls have stoped.

winomaster

Jun 27, 2016
I think the telephone company would frown rather heavily on any mods you intend to carry out on their systems.
Not to mention the laws you could be breaking.

I hadn't considered that there might be any laws about protecting yourself from businesses that are illegally using the phone system themselves. I have called the phone company to try to get them to end service to these criminals, but they have refused without explanation. Of course the phone company would have to explain why they are prosecuting their customers while doing nothing to eliminate the problem that has them riled up. I have to wonder if these robo spamers are not simply the source of too much business for the phone company. And I have to wonder if anyone could put together a jury that would convict a victim of these robocallers.

But I appreciate your thoughts on the issue.

winomaster

Jun 27, 2016
Change your phone from your carrier to phone over the internet. Once I did this I had a new number cheeper calls. Also the new number is harder for robo calls to find. So unless you are handing out your phone number the calls have stoped.

Yeah, I did this and I think the calls slowed for awhile. But, they just call every possible combination of numbers. And they can tell the difference between when you don't pick up and when they are told this is not a working number. So, after awhile they know your number is active and you may get called every day.

The people pushing credit cards are the worst. I have considered accepting one of their cards and then paying then nothing. Of course that screws my credit.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
My aim is to have a way to force robocallers to stop calling my phone number. In particular, I want a way to prevent them from breaking the connection after they call my number. This would freeze the line while forcing them to rack up long distance charges. Though perhaps that is not possible if they are calling from a 1-800 line.

I read once that the police have a way to keep a line open even if the phone of the caller is hung up. This allows police time to trace the call. Anyone know of a way to accomplish this with an off the shelf electronic box. Or perhaps some other measure to beat back these criminals. Would an air powered horn, blast them in the ears without destroying my own phone? I'm sick to death that the government will do nothing about this problem.
If your carrier supports this service, then this https://www.nomorobo.com/ service will pretty much solve your problem. I use it and it works great. It's also free.

Ratch

winomaster

Jun 27, 2016
If your carrier supports this service, then this https://www.nomorobo.com/ service will pretty much solve your problem. I use it and it works great. It's also free.

Ratch

Outstanding! I'm going to look into it. Thanks!

I see my carrier is not listed, but I'm going to switch to one that is. Thanks again.

Last edited: