Connect with us

1000mA 12 V ac supply

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by lovebo, Nov 20, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. lovebo

    lovebo Guest

    Hi, I need 1000mA 12V ac output from 240V ac. It is for an audio signal
    processor, Will a step down transformer be sufficient, as AC is sin
    wave, or do I need to clean the signal in any way.

    Where do I source components?

  2. Jim Gregory

    Jim Gregory Guest

    Yes, a step-down tranny, at least of 12 VA rating, but add 20% to that to
    run cooler. That's all.
    If you live in UK, mains is officially 230V AC, by the way.
    Try Farnell Electronic Components, Maplin, or Rapid Electronics.
  3. lovebo

    lovebo Guest

    Thanks Jim
  4. Peter Hucker

    Peter Hucker Guest

    Actually it's quoted as 240V in the UK, and 220V in France. But I had heard that they had made them all within a certain band, so they were all the same throughout Europe, so suppliers can proably get away with quite a wide range nowadays.
  5. Jasen Betts

    Jasen Betts Guest

    probably not.
    Pretty much any "electronics" retailer will have a transformer-plug
    (AKA wall-wart) with 12V AC output. some will have "bare" transformers
    in their parts section.

    my spare modem uses a 12V AC 1A wall-wart. (1A is 1000mA)

  6. lovebo

    lovebo Guest

    Cheers Jason, I got a old transformer rated 12volts
    I'll give it a go

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day