May 19, 2012
Hi Chris

Please see the updated post above.

Regards

Justin

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Thanks, I edited that post but I think you missed the update. Please fill in the Supply currents.

Chris

JPU

May 19, 2012
Chris

That is done. I'm going out now to our Lifeboat crew, summer ball. Its an annual affair and there will be allot of the pale ale consummed!;) I will have one,,,(or two) for you!:p

Cheers
Justin

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
I'm heading out to the watering hole too. Yesterday I had some Russian beer. It was primo!

Justin, are there any DP model PB switches available from the source you were given?

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Justin, please clarify the current readings. Are those LED currents or power supply currents? I wanted PS currents.

Chris

JPU

May 19, 2012
Justin, please clarify the current readings. Are those LED currents or power supply currents? I wanted PS currents.

Chris

Chris, those are the readings off the display, on my power supply..

Justin

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Justin, here's another test setup for you. Basically, I want you to repeat the power supply limits test that you did but wire it like this. Make your measurements from ground to TP1and TP2. You'll need two switches or just use jumpers.

Chris

Attachments

• BuckBoostTest.JPG
    BuckBoostTest.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 593

JPU

May 19, 2012
Hi Chris

I will get this done, but I will have to get the diodes 1n004 *3. I have had a look at the maplin website, but they don't seam to have them so I will not be able to get them tomorrow, it will take a few days.

Can you take a look at this link, will any of these do the job:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?criteria=diodes

Let me know as I can get these tomorrow!

Regards

Justin

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I have not been following the thread and the Maplin site seems to be more annoying than usual this evening.

The diodes you want are presumably 1N4004 and any diodes up to 1N4007 would do.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I have had a look at the maplin website, but they don't seam to have them

1N4004 Order Code: QL76H
1N4005 Order Code: QL77J
1N4006 Order Code: QL78K
1N4007 Order Code: QL79L

JPU

May 19, 2012
I have not been following the thread and the Maplin site seems to be more annoying than usual this evening.

The diodes you want are presumably 1N4004 and any diodes up to 1N4007 would do.

Yes, the site is annoying tonight. I did a search and they have only odd numbers in stock,,,,,1 * 1n4006 and 2 * 1n4002s

Would it be ok to buy these two types and mix these diodes.

Why on earth they can't stock more than 1 or 2 diodes of a specific type is beyond me???

Regards

Justin

JPU

May 19, 2012
Forget I said anything,,,,,

Thanks Cocacola

35 * QL79L in stock, I will pick these up tomorrow.

Cheers guys

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Justin, when you make an omelet you have to break a few eggs. Well, this is my metaphor for this circuit test. As you can see, I moved one of your LEDs to the negative (Green) lead of the uPuck's output. My guess is that it'll work fine there but since there is no data sheet of the internals of the puck I can't guarantee that it won't fry. I just wanted you to know this.

Since I know you're learning I'm sure you're curious why we're doing this test. Well, the reason is this. Switching out (shunting) one of the LEDs in its original configuration would require the use of PNP BJTs or PCHAN MOSFETs. Most of us like to avoid using either.

Chris

Edit: Those diodes are too inexpensive to buy just three. You might as well buy at least ten of them. I'd have you buy some transistors too but I want to be sure this works first. I hope it's not a long trip to the supplier. ;)

Last edited:

JPU

May 19, 2012
Chris

I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to get to the store today, I was the wrong end of the county and I have only just got home. They close at 8PM so I will have to wait until tomorrow.

Can you explain to me what shunting means, as I have often heard this phrase but as you didn`t say which LED is being shunted, I can't work it out.

Also,,,,:eek::eek: OMG, her he goes again:eek::eek:

How hard would it be to produce a circuit that ensures that a battery (6S Lipo) does not discharge below 18V. ie so once the voltage of the cell reaches 18V, the device switches off.
I know that I could do this with the axe and the circuit we produced earlier using the voltage divider to monitor the cell Voltage and then simply switch off once the voltage is reached but is there an easy way, ie just a simple small circuit that switches off once the cell get to 18V.

As always, with respect;)

Justin

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
How hard would it be to produce a circuit that ensures that a battery (6S Lipo) does not discharge below 18V. ie so once the voltage of the cell reaches 18V, the device switches off.

It's actually harder than you might expect.

One problem with circuits like this is that the battery falls below 18V under load, so some (unspecified magic) turns the circuit off. Immediately, the battery voltage rises again and the circuit is re-enabled. The current rises, the voltage falls, back off again. No load, higher voltage, on again. The pattern repeats.

There are 2 ways to handle this.

The first is that the circuit is switched off in a way that can't be automatically turned back on again. This allows the user to try again, at which point the circuit presumably switched off (either immediately, or after a short delay).

The second is to have the circuit switch off at some voltage, but require a substantially higher voltage to turn back on again. So it might turn off at 16V, but require 18V to turn on again (automatically, or manually).

The former is simpler, the latter is suitable for things that turn on automatically.

However, not wanting to discharge LiPo batteries below a certain point is a pretty common requirement. I would be looking for power management devices to do this first. My second option would be to think about designing one.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
IMHO it's a bad idea to post that within this thread. It can only yuck up the continuity of it. Oh,... "shunt" is synonymous with bypass, divert & avert. The Diode string is wired to shunt current around LED1.

Chris

JPU

May 19, 2012
Thanks for the reply Steve,,Thats clears some things up for me..

Chris, your right, I should have started a new thread, but I think I have my answer in one!

Ill be picking up the diodes later and get back to you tonight with the figures you need.

Regards

Justin