Maker Pro
Maker Pro

MOSFET IRF540A circuit.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Justin, when you measured the battery voltage after a full charge, was it under load? If not charge it again and measure it under load conditions.

Chris

JPU

May 19, 2012
Hi Chris

Im in Wales, be do have Irish Guinness but I`m a larger drinker, but I have been to the states and yes our largers are better over here as well.;)

I did measure the battery whilst attached to the LEDs and they were on.

If you need any other measurements let me know. BTY, this battery has a cutoff . I have stripped one of the batteries (to see whats inside;)) and I found one of these:
http://www.all-battery.com/protectioncircuitmodulepcbfor37vli-polymerbattery85alimit-pcb1s.aspx

You can see from the spec the exact Voltages which are to be expected. I only did this yesterday, I would have sent it sooner otherwise.

Regards

Justin

JPU

May 19, 2012
Hi Chris

Are you still working on the schematic? Has the unexpected battery voltage made this a problem?

Justin.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Hi Chris

Are you still working on the schematic? Has the unexpected battery voltage made this a problem?

Justin.

Justin, you nailed that one and I have absolutely no good news for you. Take a peek at my latest schematic. I added another Diode, now there's two (D1, D2) in series with your uPuck input. This was done to keep the voltage input to the uPuck < 3V when Vbat is (4.12V) fully charged. Q4 was added to a shunt them when U2's input voltage dropped < (3-1.4) = 1.6V . R7 & R8 are the ADC sense that monitors this. The problem is two fold. The first problem is that the ADC needs a constant reference (Vref) for it to work properly. In the case of the ADC, Vref is the Axe Vdd, which does not remain constant. Therefor, this circuit can't work. The second issue is battery voltage too. If your desirous of your uPuck to work down to 1V this is far below the acceptable 08M2 lower Vdd limit.

I have considered powering the Axe off the uPuck output through a 5V regulator. I would need to insure that the input to the regulator was >=7V, preferably 8V. In order to do this I would have to add some diodes in series with your LEDs to force the uPuck's output up to these levels, even when only one LED is active. All of this is adding complexity and component count to your presently simple circuit. Admittedly, Diodes and a 78L05 regulator don't add up to many $, especially in quantities.

Let me know if you grasp the problems.

Chris

Attachments

• AxeAutoOff2.JPG
    AxeAutoOff2.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

JPU

May 19, 2012
Chris

This looks like its far more complicated than anticipated, I apologise. I went through all the problems last year of how I could use the battery I had found with my two LEDs in series. I emailed those at Ledsupply and it was then they suggested I use the mirco puck in the Buck/boost configuration found on page 4 of the PDF. In this configuration the Voltage is not a problem ie 1-7V acceptable.. Do you think there is a way we can manipulate the micro puck in this configuration using the AXE.

I will try and study the schematic but I have to turn to you for sensible ideas on how this possibly could be wired up. (way way out of my league:p,,,if you were nearer I would at least keep up a good supply of coffee!;))

Regards

Justin

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Justin, I don't fly the white flag at the drop of the hat. I'm not done yet. Did I ask you what the part number of your LEDs are. I want to look at the data sheet. I'll look back over your posts. I think you posted it.

Chris

JPU

May 19, 2012
Hi Chris

This is the LED I have been running lately:
http://www.ledsupply.com/creexpg-w139.php

I only run 500mAh though this LED, ie 2 in series from the puck.

I originally designed the circuit with the following LED however, LEDSUPPLY informed me of their latest LED the creexpg-w139 and my last shipment of lights went out with that LED installed. So far I have only had good reports re battery life etc.

http://www.ledsupply.com/creexre-w107.php

On another note, the new motors have arrived today, I will be collecting them from UPS later today and the build will be on for the motor. I`m looking forward to testing that in the field as soon as possible and I will youtube a video later of the new motor for you to see.

Regards

Justin

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I only run 500mAh though this LED, ie 2 in series from the puck.

Are you running 500mA through the LED? It looks to me that they're only rated for 350mA continuous.

Or do you mean something else by 500mAh (which is NOT a measure of current)

JPU

May 19, 2012
Are you running 500mA through the LED? It looks to me that they're only rated for 350mA continuous.

Steve

Good spot! However, Chris now automatically deciphers my erratic posts and turns them into meaningful data.

As for the 350 mA max continuous draw, are you sure? I'm at work and posting this on my phone so I will have to wait until I get home to double check that. Although I'm not to worried as I have had over thirty of these running for over a year at 500mA with no problems.

Cheers
Justin

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
As for the 350 mA max continuous draw, are you sure?

Not really :)

It shows 100% luminosity (for reference at 350mA) and my assumption was that the higher currents were for lower duty cycles.

However there is no graph showing duty cycle vs current, so that may not be an accurate assessment.

In fact, it actually says "The maximum forward current is determined by the thermal resistance between the LED junction and ambient."

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012

Steve,

I think that says 139 Lumen's @ 350mA. Further down it states Max Drive Cur: 1.5A

I must admit that this thread has been a royal Pita. Specs keep changing and making our job more difficult than it should be. Up until now I've been working on a 300mA basis..Ugh!
Now, I don't think I just pulled that out of the air, so it must have been based on something I read in this thread. :rolleyes:

On the up side I think I'm closing in on a workable circuit for him. It certainly won't be a simple as Justin's toggle switch.

Chris

JPU

May 19, 2012
Guys

Sorry for the confusion,,

As I said the micro puck in the configuration I use puts out 500ma. I have given the forward voltage as requested. I'm not sure where the 300 came from, however I admit that some of the figures I gave originally were from distant memories.:eek::eek:

Ive looked at the spec sheet on the LED and its cable of handling 1.5A. I have used these LEDs for a year and they run at 500ma. However as I keep stating I'm a nube,,very nube!

Chris, I have wired the motors up and I have hit another problem,,,relax, don't worry its not down the circuit you came up with. Its down to my switching power supplies as they are only capable of a max 3A output at 24V. When ever I apply pressure to the disk head and therefore increase the torque required the speed control trips, due to a lack of voltage..It took me a while to work out as the power supply drops the voltage for a split second when the amps drawn get to 3, which means I'm going to have to wait for the batteries I have ordered to get manufactured!!! This is really dragging on now!!:(

Justin

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Justin, I've worked up two circuits that I'll post separately. R values are absent in both because I cannot simulate these. Normally, I don't build the circuits I post for members but I do simulate them. The Data sheet, including the apps sheet for your uPuck does not provide certain data that data sheets normally provide. For this reason your going to be doing some testing for me so I can determine if they'll work and if they do, plug in some R values to my schematics.

Here's the first concept with the uPuck is configured as a Boost Converter. Theory of operation is included in the schematic.

Chris

Attachments

• AxeAutoOff.jpg
    AxeAutoOff.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 159

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
This is the second design, where the uPuck is configured as a Buck/Boost Converter. If the measurements I'll be requesting are better than I predict we'll be able to replace U3 with a 78L05 and eliminate D1 and D2.

Chris

Attachments

• AxeAutoOff2.jpg
    AxeAutoOff2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

JPU

May 19, 2012
Hi Chris

That is one heck of a lot of work you have gone to!:eek:

I am very grateful even if it doesn't work out!

I will get to building the circuit as soon as I can. I will have to order some bits in. I was wondering, D1 D2 etc are diodes but which should I get.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Justin

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Justin, did you say that you have a variable voltage 3A bench supply?

Btw, I don't think we'll need D1 and D2, as shown in the Buck/Boost schematic.
Chris

Last edited:

JPU

May 19, 2012
Hi Chris

Yes I have a 3A bench supply,I have 2, but that's just showing off, LOL.

Are you saying we wont need any diodes? as I will need to get some in if we do as I have none..

Justin

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Justin, please power one of your lamp headsets with your power supply. Connect your DVM neg probe to supply neg and the positive probe to the orange lead of the puck.

Switch the headset to 1 LED only.
Start your measurements with the supply set to 4.12V
Measure and record the voltage (Org) while stepping the supply voltage down in .5V steps until the LED goes out.

If you don't want to open a headset, you can set this up using your protoboard

Don't order anything just yet.

Chris

Last edited:

JPU

May 19, 2012
Hi Chris

Sorry for the delay in getting you these figures. I have been busy with work and not getting home until late.

Here are the figures you requested.

IN BUCK/BOOST

Desktop PSU (V) - DVM (V) --------- 1LED V-A ------- 2LEDs V-A
4.12 -- 6.9---.391---9.54---.437
3.62 -- 6.35---.399---8.98---.442
3.12 -- 5.83---.407---8.48---.439
2.62 -- 5.31---.408---7.94---.437
2.12 -- 4.79---.409---7.41---.432
1.61 -- 4.27---.403---6.87---.418
1.11 -- 3.72---.305---6.37---.348

The light dimmed significantly at 1.61V and 1.11V and went out completely at .74V on the supply.

IN BOOST CONFIG

Desktop PSU (V) - DVM (V) --------- 1LED V-A ------- 2LEDs V-A
3.01----3.15---.738---5.74---.642
2.48----3.03---.680---5.62---.603
1.98----2.95---.625---5.54---.560
1.49----2.86---.563---5.44---.501
1.05----2.74---.330---5.28---.260

The light went out at .8V

Chris, I am sturglling at the moment to source Lithium batteries for the motor project and as a result I am having to create a battery from smaller batteries. Does your knowledge also extend into the battery power world, I have had, reluctantly, to enter!:eek:

Regards

Justin

Last edited:

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Thanks for the measurements. I should have asked for them from the get go. Please repeat the test with both LEDs switched in. While your at it It would be advantageous to have a complete set of identical measurements with the uPuck wired in Boost configuration. This way I'll have a complete set of conditions. In this case, start your supply voltage at 3.0V max, to not exceed the Boost configuration spec.

Justin, sadly, I'm not a battery guru but we have younger members that I'm sure have kept up with the technology and sources...... Anyone??

Chris

EDIT: Power Supply current measurements would be great too! ;)

Last edited: