Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED Supply Mounting

Hwrd69

Aug 14, 2023
I have a power supply similar to the MEAN WELL HLG Series CC Power Supply (mine is 24V/80w). I'm using this for strip lighting in floating shelves, but can't decide the right/safe way to "hide" the supply. If I mount it internal to one of the shelves, do I need to supply air flow? Since the Tc is ~70°C, is it safe to have it enclosed? BTW, I'll only be pulling ~ 2A (~40W).

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
IMHO, you would be better to install the power supply away from the shelves.
First reason is that you only need to hide the LED wires.
Secondly, having the power supply in an easier to access location for maintenance.

Martin

Hwrd69

Aug 14, 2023
In my situation that wall is the one the floating shelves will be on, there will be no location to hide the power supply except in the attic which is too hot for the power supply.

I'll have to try and figure out something else to safely mount the supply.

Thank you for your response.

Howard

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
I don't see any air vents in the enclosure, an interesting design choice.

Sometimes, empirical data trumps a datasheet. Try this ---

Get one, put your max load on it, put it in a shoe box with the lid on, or something smaller that approximates the air volume it will be trapped in, and come back tomorrow to see how hot the case is. This is called a heat soak.

ak

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Most install near a downlight in the ceiling, easy to access.

Hwrd69

Aug 14, 2023
I don't see any air vents in the enclosure, an interesting design choice.

Sometimes, empirical data trumps a datasheet. Try this ---

Get one, put your max load on it, put it in a shoe box with the lid on, or something smaller that approximates the air volume it will be trapped in, and come back tomorrow to see how hot the case is. This is called a heat soak.

ak
I'll see if I can set this up as an experiment. I'll do it on the sly so the wife doesn't think I'm starting another project. Lol

ivak245

Jun 11, 2021
I don't know your type of location (house, apartment, etc), but how about mounting it in the next room, through the wall? I have seen this done and the supply ended up high on the wall in a closet with plenty of airflow. The supply also came in from this area.

Hwrd69

Aug 14, 2023
That would be a great idea if the closet was behind that wall, but unfortunately it's not. The other side of that wall is the one behind my bed. Thanks for the idea though.