Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Will it effect laptop's battery if I use charger connected when fully charged?

Prohor

Sep 27, 2016
I have just bought a new Lenovo Laptop, IdeaPad-310. I think modern laptop / notebook has a overcharged controller that control charger when to charged and once battery fully charged, it should not charge the battery and laptop should take power from charger instead of battery to run. In system try message shows "Plugged in , not chargind" when mouse places over to charging icon.

I have tested four laptop / notebook using two categories -

1. Run Notebook using Plugged in and tested 'backup time (after several months 6 to 7)' with almost same application programs running.

2. Run Notebook using Battery backup. ( Charger used only to charge the laptop ).

I found better backup time in case of "Using Plugged" than "run on battery", is there any charging cycle ( Such as - after every charged and discharged it will loose minor backup time) in act?

I have found several articles on net that advised to run notebook on backup and use charger to charge laptop only. But in my experience I found battery gives longer backup which laptop used occasionally on battery. -- Confusing :( Need help.

pgib8

Jul 26, 2015
I keep mine plugged in almost always. Everything is taken care of automatically. In a couple of years when the battery may actually degrade too much, I'll just buy a new one, provided the laptop still works.
Also there are settings. For example you can tell it not to even charge the battery until it goes below a certain percentage. So if you run it down to like 80% and plug it in, but you have the setting at 70%, it won't even charge the battery. But if you know you're going somewhere, you can tell it to fully charge.
In my case I keep them fully charged because I don't care about the battery life so much, I'd much rather know that anytime I unplug it I've got a full charge.
If you want to maximize the battery of your laptop, keep them at about 40% charge and better yet, store your laptop in the fridge haha. Heat is bad for fully charged Li-Ion batteries.
If it's plugged in, regardless of whether or not the battery is charging, the laptop SHOULD take power from the charger and not the battery, unless it's a total piece of crap.
There is definitely overcharge protection because Li-Ion "blowing up" is bad for business. The battery actually has protection built into it directly.
Also consider that for a product of several 100s of $$$ that the engineers spend a few bucks on an intelligent charging mechanism.

There is always a trade-off between keeping a full battery at maximum charge and longevity, and again there should be setting for you to decide.

Prohor

Sep 27, 2016
I keep mine plugged in almost always. Everything is taken care of automatically. In a couple of years when the battery may actually degrade too much, I'll just buy a new one, provided the laptop still works.
Also there are settings. For example you can tell it not to even charge the battery until it goes below a certain percentage. So if you run it down to like 80% and plug it in, but you have the setting at 70%, it won't even charge the battery. But if you know you're going somewhere, you can tell it to fully charge.
In my case I keep them fully charged because I don't care about the battery life so much, I'd much rather know that anytime I unplug it I've got a full charge.
If you want to maximize the battery of your laptop, keep them at about 40% charge and better yet, store your laptop in the fridge haha. Heat is bad for fully charged Li-Ion batteries.
If it's plugged in, regardless of whether or not the battery is charging, the laptop SHOULD take power from the charger and not the battery, unless it's a total piece of crap.
There is definitely overcharge protection because Li-Ion "blowing up" is bad for business. The battery actually has protection built into it directly.
Also consider that for a product of several 100s of $$$ that the engineers spend a few bucks on an intelligent charging mechanism.

There is always a trade-off between keeping a full battery at maximum charge and longevity, and again there should be setting for you to decide.

Yes, I think I got what wanted.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Leaving it plugged in all the time is fine. The laptop will keep the battery topped off and will not overcharge it.

However, I seem to remember reading that it is a good idea to take it off the charger and let the battery go down every now and then. Not sure if this is still good advice or not. Check your owners manual to see if says anything about this.

Bob

OBW0549

Jul 5, 2016
Leaving it plugged in all the time is fine. The laptop will keep the battery topped off and will not overcharge it.

However, I seem to remember reading that it is a good idea to take it off the charger and let the battery go down every now and then. Not sure if this is still good advice or not. Check your owners manual to see if says anything about this.
That's what I've been doing for the last several years with my MacBook. I leave it on the charger 24/7 but once every month or so I disconnect it and run off battery until it throws a 'Low Battery' warning. As I recall, this was the manufacturer's recommendation.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I agree with the above inputs. Discharge the battery occasionally to extend battery life. (20%)
The only reason I'm adding input here, is that I also bought a Lenovo, THEN found out the Chinese
put spyware in there. Unless something has changed, you should Google information about what you
need to do to disable that spyware program. Just in case you plan to put something on your Lenovo that
you don't want someone else to have access to.

Last edited:

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
I've abused lithium cells and they don't really care that much what you do providing you don't drain it to dead, i think 15% is the lowest you should go...

Other than that float charge (i have lithiums scattered over the house as mini ups's for led lights in a blackout)

Prohor

Sep 27, 2016
The only reason I'm adding input here, is that I also bought a Lenovo, THEN found out the Chinese
put spyware in there
. Unless something has changed, you should Google information about what you
need to do to disable that spyware program. Just in case you plan to put something on your Lenovo that
you don't want someone else to have access to.

Yes, I think pre-installed operating system has always a possibility of inclusion of third party software like spyware! :D
What I did is, I have backed up with image creation of OS installed drive. I installed OS and software in my choice. :)

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Good that you're aware of the issue. I found out about the spyware on Google.
I don't remember what the remedy was, but I downloaded it from a Google search to remove it.
Enjoy your new computer!