Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is this the right place to connect an antenna?

LucidSymmetry606

Mar 15, 2015
Posting as a beginner, I hope this poses as an easy question. With a previous project, I needed to dremel out a section of a PCB so that it would fit into a specific slot. I have done this multiple times with success. This particular case may be a little more complicated. I'd like to add an antenna and I need to cut out a little slot for it to fit. Take a look at the pictures included to fully understand the situation.

I'd just like to know if I end up removing the part that's marked red, would placing an antenna in its place cause any problems? Is that the right place for a range-extending antenna? Thanks guys. transmitter question.jpg

Attachments

• transmitter question 2.jpg
    transmitter question 2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 135

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there,

do you realise that whole C shaped curved track as shown in the top pic IS the existing antenna ?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
hi there,

do you realise that whole C shaped curved track as shown in the top pic IS the existing antenna ?
I think the op does..
It appears as though they want to cut the existing antenna in half, the connect an additional antenna at it's mid-point.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
That's precisely what I wanted to do. I wanted to connect the antenna to both halves of the track, completing the halved track. Why is that a bad idea?

because you will be destroying the existing antenna, you will change its length and other characteristics and it will no longer be tuned to the required frequency

LucidSymmetry606

Mar 15, 2015
because you will be destroying the existing antenna, you will change its length and other characteristics and it will no longer be tuned to the required frequency

Oh wow. I had no idea that changing the length of an antenna changes its properties. I assumed that a longer antenna just correlates to greater range. Goes to show you how much of a beginner I am. Thank you very much for your help. I'm glad I posted here before starting that mod.

When I move back to the United States, I'll be avidly taking plenty of electronics courses. Everything that I have learned was from the internet and trial/error. That's why my knowledge of the matter is spotty and incomplete.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I assumed that a longer antenna just correlates to greater range. Goes to show you how much of a beginner I am.

increasing the length lowers its operating ( tuned ) frequency

that's OK we were all beginners once .... and even after 45 years of electronics I still don't know it all ;)

keep asking questions. there will be those of us on here who will help where we can

Dave

LucidSymmetry606

Mar 15, 2015
increasing the length lowers its operating ( tuned ) frequency

that's OK we were all beginners once .... and even after 45 years of electronics I still don't know it all ;)

keep asking questions. there will be those of us on here who will help where we can

Dave

Awesome. So without increase the operating voltage, how do you increase the strength of an antenna whether it be on the receiving or transmitting end?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
you can make a gain antenna ... a Yagi for instance, or even a corner reflector.

so this thing IS being used for its original door bell purpose ? but you just need it operating over a longer distance ?
if so how far a distance., does the unit indicate what frequency it is operating on ?

Dave