Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Yamaha Receiver Display Lamp 14.5V 115 mA

ste4en

Nov 6, 2011
I have a cc-70W receiver and the illuminating lamp behind the display has blown. This happened about 10 years ago and Yamaha sent me a new one (part number VH471600 or substituted part number VE628900). This time they have no more stock. I have searched the part number on the internet and there is no stock anywhere.

Yamaha told me it was a 14.5V 115 mA lamp....where can I find one?

Thanks

Steve

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi ste4en.
If you have a multi meter measure the lamps voltage across the wires, if its 12 volts from the system, then these bulbs, miniature subminiture grain of wheat bulbs are available in most electronic stockists.

If the voltage is higher you might be able to use a resistor to reach the desired input, you can measure the current to see your not over loading the lamp circuit, another idea and one ive used is two lamps in series on a base RF scanner i have when the lights went out.

Another idea is led's, but i am not sure on interference doing led's, it might be ok, but under power it with a larger resister so its not super bright, i was going to try the led approach on an old CB ive got, so i dont have to keep replacing the lamp, but as i said not sure on interference.
Dave. :)

ste4en

Nov 6, 2011
Thanks Dave,

Your term "Grain of wheat" helped me locate a bulb at Fry's. Its the closest spec i can find I don't have the means to test the voltage, so i was just going to give it a try.

The spec on the bulb is 14V 80mA, compared to the 14.5V 115 mA spec from Yamaha.

Shall I order one and try it or will it just not work.

Thanks

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi there. Less current drawn by the lamp circuit is no problem, if the voltage does blow the new bulb you might need to lower the voltage, a couple of diodes can do that, but the voltage will probably be ok, so i would try the new bulb first, then cross the diode lowering bridge if it comes to it, its also very easy to do, but yes try the new lamp first.
Dave.

ste4en

Nov 6, 2011
Dave,

All worked fine - I am leaving the information of the lamp i used just in case somebody is searching for the same thing one day.

thanks again
Steve

Philmore 495 Grain Of Wheat Bulb 14V, 80mA
Mfr: PHILMORE Model: 495
FRYS.com #2764833 UPC: 038975134956

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi again ste4en.
Glad you got your display lighting up again, thanks for leaving the reference, happy tunes. :)

sam_o

Aug 20, 2012
Hi ste4en-

I just inherited the same Yamaha system, with tragically the same blown display lamp. Love the sound so hope I can get the display back.

Thanks for posting the bulb you found at Frys as I just ordered it. And thanks Dave for working through the problem too. Any general advice you can provide for the bulb replacement process. How exactly you got to the bulb, which panels you removed, etc...

I'm well-experienced with residential wiring work, though I'm new to small electronics/ stereo repair (besides re-soldering an aux input on my car stereo), so excited to dive in.

Thanks.

Sam