Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Whoops!

P

PV Dude

Jan 1, 1970
Man alive! I love this hobby... How can anyone not help but feel impressed when looking at a small
collection of 2' x 4' flat panels just soaking up the rays... who's dark blue surface is sucking up
all those photon-thing-a-ma-dingies and spitting out them electron-yahooies. All that science and
physics involved would win over any techno-geek, even the anal-retentive anti-enviro's should like
these babies. The plug and play makes any windoze computer pale by comparison. The price tag
leaves a little bit to be desired.. but then, list a hobby that isn't expensive, am I right? huh..?
am I..? And when you have your first power grid failure and you're sitting there in your living
room, drinking beer and watching the hockey game or some backstabbing losers vote each other off
some godforsaken island, you gotta admit that smug feeling you get that your neighbors are in the
dark huddling around a candle cursing the "guvment" or power company, it gives you a sense of
superiority and power! hehheh! c'mon admit it.. you know it's true. Now suddenly that price tag
becomes transparent.

You know how it is.. you buy a cheap thin film PV and charge a few AA batteries.... kinda neat. So
you venture into something a bit bigger and "hard-core"... you pick up a 50 watt "professional"
panel.. one of those mono-sodium-glutamate uh.. monocrystalline ones. No matter, now you're
getting AMPS, not some piddly-a$$ed Milly-amps. We're talking real man-thunder of the gods-power
here now! But gotta get a bigger battery to store all them electron-thingies... zip on down to
Wally world pick up an RV deep cycle.. whoa, whattaya know, they got some o' them 300 watt car
inverters on sale too. Snatch one up and take it home. That evening you're sitting there reading
about suppressed nuke accidents while being bathed by light from a solar powered
compact-fluorescent. Wowee! Freedom..! This stuff really works.. gotta get more! And so it goes
from there... pv addiction is incurable, too bad, deal with it.

Sure, the learning curve may be a bit forbidding... but it can be interesting. Especially when you
happen to hear that smoke detector you just installed in the small shed where you store the
batteries is loudly beeping away. And that rush you experience as you go running over to check out
what the heck is goin' on and open the door to find the wires from the charge controller glowing a
wonderful warm white light!! And you hear that crackling sound of them electron-thingies... and all
that smoke wafting about... it really is quite the thrill. I'm not sure what kind of thrill i'd
classify it but it is a thrill none-the-less.

So after yanking all the wires off the battery posts and get things settled down, you stand there
thankfull that you got there just in time before the batteries gave you your own version of the
"China Syndrome" and burned down your house... taking all your other expensive hobbies and fridge
full of beer with it. Whew! Close one..

Of course, none of this would have happened if ya had spent a couple extra buck$ and fused every
lead...!

D'oh..!!