Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Whirlpool washer CCU AAWCB-003 schematic needed

Arioda

Aug 4, 2018
Seems such are not available to normal mortals. Anybody have one to share? This control brain is common to many Whirlpool front loaders, e.g. Duet. I have a Kenmore HE4. The MCU schematic would come in handy too. The mechanicals are all good but the electronics is plagued with bad connectors and poorly designed relay circuitry (no snubbers). Right now our washer just won't work and I am not keen on shelling out $700 - $1100 for a new short lived one.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
A schematic isn't going to help fix bad connections or poorly snubbed relay contacts - you can address them with the relevant parts and good engineering practise. Changing the relays for better quality versions is usually a good fix for any such machine these days. If you wanted to be 'anal' about relays you could remove them and fit SSR (solid-state) relays to eliminate the snubber issue and increase longevity.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Good spot @dave9...

But going back to my post.... if you really want to make any consumer item more reliable (and have the skill set of course) then simple changes to known 'cheapness' is a good way to do it.

It's often possible to re-work 'cheap' goods to be very much more reliable but when (if) you take your time, trouble and expense into account in doing these mods you would see that purchasing a higher quality item in the first place is the easier route to take......

It's only by virtue of DIY that makes such mods worthwhile and makes the saying "buy cheap, buy twice" very applicable.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
^ To some extent I'm seeing the opposite in the US, that no matter how much you pay it may not matter, that the cheaper appliances lack the computer controls and thus lack the circuit boards that end up failing in less than 10 years.

It is a very strange state that my older appliances may outlive something someone buys new today at twice the price I paid for them, merely because newer have more electronic circuits that are necessary for basic functionality.

Granted, the more the new appliance costs, the more wiggle room there is for a repair part to cost "X" amount and still seem cost effective rather than paying that much again for an entire new unit.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Built-in obsolescence is a fact. Manufacturers simply cannot afford to build equipment that 'lasts' else they go out of business!

Arioda

Aug 4, 2018
Thanks folks. I have a stash of SSRs and purchased a second CCU on Ebay and plan to replace at least the most offending mechanical relays. I also have some parts for RC snubbers if the relays don't look like a good fit. I assume SSRs can tolerate back emf. I added some external connectors b/c the extreme vibration frets the edge card connections. Immediately the unit stopped working and I feared I had crossed a wire hence wanting the schematic. One would be handy for future repairs possibly.

In reality, the unit stopped working because the connector that supplies ac to the motor unit had broken loose with all my fiddling. With the motor unit offline I naturally started getting comm errors. Once I resoldered it, things started working again.

We almost bought a new washer and it was with great trepidation. Is a $1500 washer going to be more reliable than a $900 washer? I doubt it. Are CR's reliability projections or reviews any indication??? I have to agree with Kellys_eye about manufacturers tho not about patching where needed. Maybe a $3000 laundromat washer lasts, I don't know. Meanwhile I just use intuition, unreliable reviews, and any other hunches, avoid buying the very cheapest stuff,and fix it when it breaks, if I can. If any of you have any surefire ways to spot quality beyond my "methods" above. I'd appreciate hearing, and if any of you have a schematic.........

Last edited: