Connect with us

where to buy a house/device current meter?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by John Doe, Feb 23, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Ultra Low-Cost Electronic Energy Meter"

    I guess you just plug it into the wall and plug your device into it.

    Anybody know where to get one of those or similar? The simpler the

    Thank you.
  2. Clinton

    Clinton Guest

    How could it possibly track your kWhr use when it has no reference to
    current? It's a rip-off..
  3. Greg Neill

    Greg Neill Guest

    Methinks it measures the power consumption for the
    device plugged into its socket.
  4. Dan H

    Dan H Guest

    Googling "Energy Meter" turns up lots of devices. check out

    It would have been easier to google for it than to write a message on a

    Dan H.
  5. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Searching for "Energy Meter" turns up a lot of unrelated things. Try
    searching for "Electronic Energy Meter". There is lots of talk about
    it, but I find no place to buy it here in the United States.
    Unfortunately it's out of stock.

    Maybe an energy meter is not so easy to find.
    When you shop, do you call that "Wal-Marting"?

    Thanks for the lead, I will keep looking.
  6. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    If I can't find that, I recall hearing about some clamp like or
    circular device that you put around an AC wire to measure current?
    Do you know what that's called? Any leads would be appreciated,
  7. Greg Neill

    Greg Neill Guest

    Clamp-on current probes for multipmeters.
  8. Dan H

    Dan H Guest

    Try Harder - I found 3 more on see


    here is another one:

    Dan H.
  9. Clinton

    Clinton Guest

    Yea, could be.. I thought it was just a meter and the outlet below was part
    of the recpticle that's it's plugged into, but I bet your right.. Either
    way, it's not worth the price...
  10. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Again, I appreciate the lead. It's out of stock there but apparently
    it's available elsewhere. I took that term "Kill A Watt" originally
    given by Dan H, stuck it into, and came up with that and
    two or three other different brands.

    I suppose some expensive versions allow for entering cost per
    kilowatt hour to determine the cost instead of just the wattage. But
    all I need is a simple readout of current that's easier than trying
    to connect my multimeter, the Kill A Watt appears to be the least
    expensive available easy to use load meter.

    Thanks a lot to the replies.
  11. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Wow, cool. That would be my choice if I were doing electronics now.
    A BK CP-3 looks a little pricey for much higher current reading than
    I need.
  12. John

    John Guest

    You should be able to find the Kill A Watt for under $30US delivered.
    I got mine from this Ebay vendor:

    It displays voltage, frequency, current drawn by the attached device,
    watts, Volt-Amps, power factor, KwH, and hours on (as when checking
    how much of the time the old fridge or freezer actually runs).
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day