Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Whats this part?

kelvinmead

Nov 22, 2011
28kouw5.png

it looks like a variable inductor, but i'm having issues finding any!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Kevin

its says what it is a 400 (ns) or ms Delay Line

cant tell if its ns or ms ... nano-second or millisecond

cheers
Dave

kelvinmead

Nov 22, 2011
Ahh, a brand new part to use... Well, it seems that it's dated part, but new to me!

Can these be used to slow timings down?

Are they freely available still?

kelvinmead

Nov 22, 2011
Ahh, a brand new part to use... Well, it seems that it's dated part, but new to me!

Can these be used to slow timings down?

Are they freely available still?

not to double post myself,

but are these parts designed to drop a frequency of a pulse, say the output of a 555, high / low pulse, or more significantly, put a delay in the running structure, e.g., turn on an led, delay pauses 400ms and then the led lights up?

thanks!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
delay lines are commonly used in video circuits in TV/video systems ( probably many other places that I am not familiar with)
Most TV/video circuit delay lines I have had anything to do with most often use a slab of quartz crystal rather than an inductor as shown in your circuit

can you show more of the circuit and tell us what the circuit is ?

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
A reverb unit is an example of a spring used as a delay line.

In that case it's usually specifically designed to operate poorly and have reflections back and forth.

Mercury delay lines were used in some of the earliest computers as a method of storage.

(Magnetic) Bubble storage was a form of digital delay line that was used as computer memory.

TorontoBob

Oct 6, 2013
The old Apple computer clones and boards used delay lines. I think they were essentially inductors with very high interwinding capacitance, the reason for the symbol they use. Yes that would be 400 nS. You can't get very long delays; They were just for digital signal delays.