Connect with us

Whats the point of the Op-Amp in this D/A converter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Braeden Hamson, Feb 25, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Braeden Hamson

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
    I've been tasked with building a digital to analogue converter for my class. Like so:

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/opamp/opamp11.gif

It needs to have 5 volts in on the inputs and 1 2 3 4 on the output corresponding to pressing 1 2 3 4. I understand how to do this, but I don't see why I can't just accomplish this with a voltage divider. If I eliminated the amp all together I think the circuit would achieve the same thing.

Thanks guys!

2. Kabelsalat

Kabelsalat

Jul 5, 2011
    That is becasuse:
    - 1. This is not a voltage divider. It doesn't work as a voltage divider at all.
    - 2. Why: The negative input terminal at the opamp will always be at zeero, at least very close - probably less than your multimeter can measure.
    - 3. And why is that: The negative terminal is keept close to zero because the opamp output will compensate so that the negative voltage will try to stabilize in a point where the current through Rf is excact the same as the current you provide via V1, V2, or V3.

Also: Try to do some calculations of voltage drop when different input voltage is applied - and remember to follow the rules of resistor value doubles for each.
    Remember: the sum of currents into a node is always zeero.

Some important things to be aware of:
    - The output function will generate a voltage representation of a binary input given that the resistor network is correctly set up.
    - Opamps have limitations. It may not be able to deliver a voltage close to Vee/Vcc.
    - Won't work unless you have a negative voltage supply also.

3. Braeden Hamson

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
    Thank you for the clarification

Ask a Question