Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What to consider when making a 6/8/10 way mains extension

markdixon

Oct 15, 2014
Hi all,
The project I am working on requires me to switch several mains powered devices on/off via software using relays or SSR's.
What I want to do is use one mains plug and split this into [up-to] 10 outlets (IEC type female) so I can control up to 10 pieces of networking equipment (Cisco routers and switches), all of this inside a 19" 2U rackmount case.
Now we all know you can go to any shop and buy a 10way extension lead, and you can even get PDU (Power Distribution Unit) rackmount panels with several outputs on them, but what should I consider when doing this myself? Is this practical in the long run? I know that SSR's can get warm when switching rapidly but if I'm going to switch the SSR and then leave it on or off for at least 10 seconds, do I still need to worry about heat or is that just when rapidly switching?
Can anyone comment on getting pre-made options such as these, so I don't have to worry about getting PCB's that can handle mains voltage created?
Multi Channel Relay Board <-link
The relays are rated 10A at 250V which should be more than enough for my requirements and they can be easily controlled from any microcontroller as they all look to have built in 8550's so can be driven from just about any μC pin.

Thanks

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
1. Switching an SSR at a rate of once every 10 minutes (or once every minute) is not going to cause a heating problem as long as the SSR is operated within it's specifications.

2. I don't think those are SSRs on the link you posted, I think they are relays.

Bob