Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What are the qualifications needed for a Project manager in an engineering firm?

Ashok S

Feb 19, 2013
Hello everyone,

Currently i have completed my electronic engineering degree and i would like to be a Project manager in an engineering firm, since im not that good in technical side. I know that management knowledge is required to be a project manager, So can anyone suggest me a good management course that will be sufficient enough to attain my goal??

Thanks in advance

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
A good project manager has significant technical skills in the area they're project managing, so it's pretty much required that you're pretty god technically.

Typically the background of a PM is technical, but they're a person who has skills at managing people and coping with conflicting demands.

Ashok S

Feb 19, 2013
Yes i agree, but other than technical do they expect any management qualifications for the PM post? If so any suggestions of a management course which will be suitable for this field? When i was searching i came across a course for project managers which is called as PMP course, will that be a good option?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, project management experience would be a big plus for anyone wanting a project management position.

The question is, do you think you'd want to do it? You have to be the right sort of person. Frequently you're the man in the middle between management who want everything yesterday and who might want changes done at no cost and the people doing the work who want extensions more money, have logistic problems, etc. You need to b able to get the project completed, negotiating with suppliers and management, solving people and supplier problems, and determining the truth in what people are saying.

Have you worked in the industry (whatever it is) under a project manager? I can't imagine anyone getting a job as a project manager without experience.

Is the PMP course for project managers, or for people wanting to be PMs? If the latter, it might be an option.

Have you contacted prospective employers and asked them what they look for in a PM?

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
The harsh reality as I see it:
In my experience the worst project managers have been those without 'on the ground' experience as they do not understand the problems faced by the people on the ground. The worst invention is training courses for managers; if you will make a good manager you don't need to be trained to be a manager, just training in a specific company's way of operation.

My recommendation is get out there and gain experience in what you have studied. If you feel you cannot do this, then maybe you picked the wrong industry and should re-evaluate what you want to do. You do not need to be a brilliant technician to make a good manager, but you do need some experience on the technical side otherwise it will be difficult to set timeframes, evaluate designs etc.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
+1. Project managers are usually people who have already held a technical job at the company for a while and decide to take the "management track". Often, they are the ones that are not the technical stars, those tend to try to stay technical (as I have for 40 years.) I cannot see a company hiring someone who has not worked in a technical capacity as a project manager.

You indicated that you think your technical skills are not great. But there are many levels of technical skill needed at a large company. It is unlikely that you would be hired as a designer right out of school, so take a lesser position, learn what you can, and if you show more skill in management than technical, then you will likely move in that direction.

Bob

Ashok S

Feb 19, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have completed my Electronic engineering degree recently and i'm not technically good at it. So i have made my choice for management side, for posts like operations manager or something related to project management in the future.
Now i'm planning to gain some knowledge in management field and at the same time i should be qualified for the above stated position. I have two courses in my mind now either MBA or CIMA.
I'm confused in choosing the right course to build up a management career. Please share your ideas.

Thanks in advance :)

[Moderator's note: Ashok please do not start a new thread on the same subject as your existing thread. I have moved your new post into this thread. -- KrisBlueNZ]

Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ashok, let me give you an analogy. What you're asking is a bit like:

"I'm not a very good cricket player, so I have made my choice to look for positions like captain or coach"
I have a relative who has just come back to his own country after being employed overseas as a project manager. He got there by:
  1. Showing promise as an engineer here
  2. Working capably as an engineer overseas
  3. Coping with small project management issues
  4. Being able to handle small projects
  5. and (finally) Showing himself able to manage quite large projects.
Being a good engineer was (for him) the starting point.