Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Weird Light Bulb

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
I need help locating a weird light bulb. As far as I can gather it most resembles a festoon style bulb only it doesn't have end caps just wires. The length is 1" / 25cm excluding wires, the Voltage is 12. It's for panel lighting so Amperage is probably fairly low (for incandescent) . They have no marking, I have no schematic and all the bulbs are blown so I can't even analyze one.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Grain of wheat lamp (no, it's too large)?

What are the physical dimensions of the lamp?

Can you take a photo of it?

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
Picture and Photofacts Request

The picture came out pretty good if I do say so myself. I'm working on a Realistic TM-1000 receiver and every one of the bulbs are out. While I'm at it, if someone either has a schematic of a Sams Photofacts# MHF-76 I could sure use a copy. there is a touch switch using discrete components that's out and it's slow going without a map.

Attachments

• Panel Light.JPG
    Panel Light.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 407

electro_pa

Aug 14, 2011
Double ended axial wire leaded lamp is available.

Hi alfa88,
This lamp is common in cheap, older Japanese gear, as panel back-lights.
Soldered to PCB's. Always short-lived!
The attachment is a shot from a current catalogue page 2-21, from http://www.wescomponents.com/ In Australia.
If you, as USA citizen, won't order from Australia, Mouser has single-ended, wire leaded lamps with good life-time and 14 volts 0.08 amp from Chicago Miniature in stock, part number 606-CM1705.
Since these have 1" leads, solder them in and dress the bulb to a suitable place.
There's two options for you.
Regards,
Clive.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-12-17 at 7.25.13 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-12-17 at 7.25.13 PM.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 427

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
Thanks Clive,
Axial lamps! Of course.
Ouch, cheap?! this receiver cost me $170 in the 70s. Ugh, all the critics call it cheap too and I can't say I'm too fond of the way the lamping was implemented. Planned obsolescence I guess
I signed up to Wes Components. I can always use different sources and geographically they are closer to me. Mouser is one of my favorites but 14V might end up too dim. I'm torn between going original or modding my receiver with LEDs. . I think cold cathode is out of the question due to inverter noise.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
I was toying with the idea of led's for meter lamps in CB's but was not sure on noise from a would be series resistor, a long time ago early in my study's of electronics i read under certain circumstances resistor can produce electrical noise, not sure if this applies to light loads like led series resistors, or more towards real heavy power applications of resistors.

Ive already replaced bulbs in my realistic scanning receiver, not sure how long there last, they blow eventually usually on switch on and surge. I would use led's if there was no possibility of noise / interference. :)

warf135

May 21, 2011
Using LED to replace signal meter bulbs in CB/HAM radios is fine. I use either a 560R or 1K resistor (depending on brightless level required) with a standard led and all is good.

For meters where the led is mounted inside (such as standard mobile CB meters), use a standatd LED. If the LED is to be mounted externally behind meter, I use flat top 'wide angle' LED's with great results.

The 'wide angle' LED's are also good for backlight illumination.

I have used LED's in a President Lincoln and a Ham Jumbo Mk1 with great results and I will be converting a Maycom EM-27 to LED's soon.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
I hope alfa88 manages to sought out the display on his Realistic TM-1000 receiver, it might be an option for him, i know now, i will give the led display a go. :)

Last edited:

warf135

May 21, 2011
I'm sure alfa88 will have no problems sorting it out, the only thing that could prevent the use of LED replacements is the want to keep the radio in original condition.
I know that when I did my Mk1 Jumbo, I was started out wanting to keep the radio as original as possible, using only original parts wherever possible, but the reliability, pure light and cheapness of the LED solution won out.

of course the other bonus of using LED lighting is that you change the colour of the display easily.