Connect with us

Wattage meter

Discussion in 'Home Power and Microgeneration' started by Dane Brickman, Oct 4, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. You can use the electric meter outside your house to determine the usage of
    ay individual draw if you're willing to cut off the power to anything you're
    not measuring and do some counting and some simple math... (though this
    doesn't sound like what you're trying to do).
    Try a search for:
    Determining kWh Use - Meter-Disk Revolutions

    I just did my furnace today, saved me 100 bucks for a meter for one time
  2. Taz

    Taz Guest

    Does anyone have any suggestions on making or purchasing a wattage/amperage
    meter? I'd like to monitor each 120v leg that my generator puts out without
    paying $300 for transfer switch.
  3. What does a Tranfer Switch have to do with monitoring the AC Current
    output from your genset??? The "Big Boys" use Current Transformers
    on each of the Legs of the Genset and then Calibrated Meters that
    match the Currrent Transformers Turns Ratio. Jameco has some very
    reasonable CT's (Current Transformers) in their catalog. Meters
    are avalable there as well, or a digital Meter could be used with a
    switch to select which leg to be read.

    Bruce in alaska
  4. mark Ransley

    mark Ransley Guest

    Get a digital clamp on meter 30 us. Generac has a 200us transfer
    system its complete.
  5. I suspect he means one of those all-in-one transfer switches with a
    half dozen breakers and some meters on it...

    I used current transformers and analog panel meters for my setup, it
    was fairly straighforward.

    PLEASE NOTE: Current transformers must have their low-current outputs
    shorted (or connected to an ammeter or other shunt) at all times, or
    they become an extremely high votage source.
  6. Taz

    Taz Guest

    Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I mean a readable (preferrably analog) meter.
    I'd like to try to balance the outputs( or come close). I hear it's better
    on the gen head if the outputs are balanced. Any truth to this? Thanks.

    I am confused as to how monitoring your genset output would be an
    alternative to a
    transfer switch. Are you trying to have the genset automagically switch
    itself in when it
    gets fully up to speed, or perhaps shut down if the power drain becomes
    higher than what
    the genset is rated for? By "monitor" do you mean a human readable display
    or an
    electronic logging type of monitoring? If you can help me understand a
    little bit better
    what your overall objective from monitoring would be I'll be more likely to
    offer a useful
    comment if I can.
  7. Zathera

    Zathera Guest

    Analog meters can be had almost anywhere. Dalis Electronics, WW Grainger,
    even radio shack. Look for one that does amps and then get the necessary
    current transformer. ( the little donut that the load wires go through) and
    connect accordingly. The scale on the meter will be relevant to the CT
    that you use. Your going to need something like a 0-10 amp CT, just guessing
    I do not think you mentioned the size. If you gen is less than 12-15 kw then
    you are probably running at 3600 rpm and have no frequency control. This can
    be an issue for certain appliances. I would recommend that you get voltage
    meters as well if you are really going to do this. Me I use an Amprobe when
    connecting the load for a few minutes and forget it. Keeping a balanced load
    on a small gen is next to impossible. If you can get within 20% call it
  8. Taz

    Taz Guest

    I think I'm going to get a clamp probe for my Fluke 83 series and use that
    instead of a fixed solution. Thanks for the info.
  9. Zathera

    Zathera Guest

    Good idea, I have 2 for my meters as well as a couple of flexi ct's. Just do
    not leave them on for extended length of time. Most CT's of this type are
    designed for interment duty. Check with the manufacture to be sure.
  10. Why don't you just put a Load Balancing Transformer in your system and
    then you don't have to do anything else. Bring all your 120 Vac loads
    to the secondary of a 2:1 Transformer, with a size of the total genset
    Kw. Power the Primary from the 240Vac output of your Genset. All the
    120 Vac loads are then evenly distributed across the 240 Vac Generator.

    Bruce in alaska
  11. Taz

    Taz Guest

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day