Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wanted - Prioritizing 2 inputs -> 1 output

exxy

Apr 27, 2009
My background: I can put a circuit together, can get the materials and make the board, but I am not at the point where I can make my own circuit.

What I'm trying to do: I have 2 audio outputs (iPod, GPS, CD Player) and a pair of headphones. I'm trying to prioritize one of the inputs over the other.

For example, I have an iPod playing music and a Motorola 2-way radio. I would like to automatically "switch" between the two inputs only if 1 specified inputs outputs anything. So if I'm listening to the iPod and someone says something over the 2 way the ipod mutes completely and I hear the 2way voice, then immediately back to the music all through the same pair of headphones.

What I've done/found: I use these devices in home-audio all of the time by RussSound and other companies; but they are too large and are powered. I found this same EXACT concept used in the aviation field for pilots, but it was $400. Found the same idea made by a company it's called the "Mix-It2" but it's also $170 but does this for multiple inputs and is also powered.

My goal: I'd like to make this in a small hobby box, powered via batteries and incorporate a power switch/LED so I know when the battery has died. It's going to be used on my motorcycle and because of this I'd like to keep the price very low.

Questions I have about this circuit if it exists: When it's not powered, what would happen to the audio, would it damage any of the devices, would they just both mix on top of eachother, or would the priority input just not work at all.

I've done a lot of searching, I'm trying to find a schematic now because they are too expensive for consumers. If anyone knows of a circuit like this, or a cheaper device or can get me anywhere further than I am now, I appreciate it!!