Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Video monitor cable adaptation

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
If possible I would like to inject the video signal, generally referred to as an analog signal generally connected with an RCA type connector, into the 15 pin D connector used often on computer monitors. I will guess the D connector is a standardized pin out. Will this be a simple lash-up or will timing signals and other data transfers require manipulations making the modification impractical?

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Hello,

That will likely be not simple.
The incoming signal must be synchronized with the original signal, if you want to "mix" it.
Here are two pages with an explanation of the 15 pin video connector:
http://www.hardwarebook.info/VGA_(15)
http://www.hardwarebook.info/VGA_(VESA_DDC)

Bertus
No mixing required. Simply desire to use video monitor on hand to view analog output from security camera. Perhaps I can inject the signal into a VGA card which may separate and condition signal into the format which the monitor can read.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
No mixing required. Simply desire to use video monitor on hand to view analog output from security camera.

read again what Bertus said and have a look at his link :)
VGA is separated into RGB, Horizontal sync and vertical sync, very different to an old composite video monitor

Without the synching signals, the vga monitor wont display anything

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
read again what Bertus said and have a look at his link :)
VGA is separated into RGB, Horizontal sync and vertical sync, very different to an old composite video monitor

Without the synching signals, the vga monitor wont display anything
I am curious as to if the initial signal is recorded as an analog signal then broken into a composite signal. RGB, horizontal sync, etc., or if signal comes off of photo sensor in a composite form.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I am curious as to if the initial signal is recorded as an analog signal then broken into a composite signal. RGB, horizontal sync, etc., or if signal comes off of photo sensor in a composite form.

WHAT photo sensor ??

you are only giving us half the info and then expecting us to be able to help you ;) :)

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
WHAT photo sensor ??

you are only giving us half the info and then expecting us to be able to help you ;) :)
There r paddle stores. FUNCTION needed for project endgame, finish, fini. View video input, the "scene", with video camera transmitting "ANALOG" signal, which sends xmission over 2 conductor, jacketed, RCA TERMINATED cable, view on a monitor possessing only VGA connector type externally. Simple enough. Where does signal conditioning, or formatting of a complete video signal, take place? I am assuming that the optical section of the camera is focused on the photo sensor plate and being sequentially read and recorded, perhaps in an analog fashion, or more likely captured in digital form. In either case, I also assume that somewhere within the circuitry of both camera and monitor that there travels a complete video signal. HOR SYNC, front porch, some other syncs, blanking somewhere, color information then some color burst info, back porch, then next hor sync. Maybe not so. Will investigate somewhat later.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
with video camera transmitting "ANALOG" signal
There are many different "analog video signal" formats. The format of the transmitter and the receiver need to match, in terms of electronic signal format as well as mechanical connection. Simply placing a wrong electronic format of the rigt mechanical connector will not result in a successful video connection.
Simple enough.
Not if the video formats of transmitter and receiver do not match. This seems to be the case here. From what little information you have provided, the camera likely transmits a composite video signal. The monitor expects VGA which implies RGB and separate sync signals.
Where does signal conditioning, or formatting of a complete video signal, take place?
Always at the transmitting side. The camera in your case.
I also assume that somewhere within the circuitry of both camera and monitor that there travels a complete video signal. HOR SYNC, front porch, some other syncs, blanking somewhere, color information then some color burst info, back porch, then next hor sync.
Assumprions will not help much here. You need to find which format you camera delivers. Read the manual or look up a datasheet.
you are only giving us half the info and then expecting us to be able to help you
Right. Start by telling us which model of camera and monitor you use. That may already answer some of our questions.

Your best option is imho a commercial composite to VGA adapter as for example this one.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Very nice device. Better yet, if I can locate a similar device which will convert my single "analog" signal to VGA, I will have my remedy. In a prior instance, I plugged my signal into, I believe it was the yellow panel jack, intensity I think it was, and acquired a usable video display. Not top quality, but adequate. Thank you for your time spent on this matter.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
There are many different "analog video signal" formats. The format of the transmitter and the receiver need to match, in terms of electronic signal format as well as mechanical connection. Simply placing a wrong electronic format of the rigt mechanical connector will not result in a successful video connection.

Not if the video formats of transmitter and receiver do not match. This seems to be the case here. From what little information you have provided, the camera likely transmits a composite video signal. The monitor expects VGA which implies RGB and separate sync signals.

Always at the transmitting side. The camera in your case.

Assumprions will not help much here. You need to find which format you camera delivers. Read the manual or look up a datasheet.

Right. Start by telling us which model of camera and monitor you use. That may already answer some of our questions.

Your best option is imho a commercial composite to VGA adapter as for example this one.
I did find an S-AV to VGA converter online. I have hooked it up and it works quite well. Unit sold for $5.99. Today I went to "My Orders," clicked on this device, then clicked on "Buy Again." Device was priced at $8.99. A little odd about the price increase I thought. Thank you for your previous suggestions.