Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Using Motion Controller with relays

lee2520

Jun 26, 2018
Hello all

I have looked through the site and cant find the answer. So I hope you can help.

I am trying to come up with a solution to operate a door. the door is massive (weighs around 500kg) and slides open and closed. With the use of rollers and bearings it can be pulled closed with about 20kg of force. I have found the solution to move the door in the form of an actuator (from SKF.com)
My problem comes in controlling it.

Also being installed on site is a new access control system (Paxton) one part Paxton make is a io Board.
The io board has 4 inputs (12V) and 4 outputs (up to 230V 13A)

I need to bridge the two components.......

My thoughts are as follows:

A button is pressed (io input)
io board outputs through output 1
To a motor controller (to control the actuator)
Actuator closes (opening the door)

oposite to close

well that's as far as I've gotten actually........

Can I control the motion controller (Have not found one yet) with an on/off input? (relays)
So the OPEN button is pressed closing the circuit triggering an output on the io board that will send a signal to the motor controller that in turn will send a signal to the motor (attached to the actuator)

Apologies, I know this is missing a lot of info and if you need any more please let me know. Got many different tasks going on and I'm all over the place. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
So what has the Paxton to do with the door control at present?
Do you intend using it solely for your application or is it there fro other reasons?
M.

lee2520

Jun 26, 2018
So what has the Paxton to do with the door control at present?
Do you intend using it solely for your application or is it there fro other reasons?
M.

Paxton is going throughout the building to control around 30 other doors. The other Paxton controllers will not work for the application we need. But we can connect the io board to this door and then we can see all the doors on Paxton software. Making it easier to control all the doors from one place.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
It would seem that you would wire the door up using hardwired relay logic and use and advisory signal off a relay to advise the Paxton system of its status..
M.

lee2520

Jun 26, 2018
It would seem that you would wire the door up using hardwired relay logic and use and advisory signal off a relay to advise the Paxton system of its status..
M.
Would that require a separate plc combined with a motor controller?
Hoping we could have a board between the Paxton io and the motor. So a button is pressed in the office, that tells the io to tell the motor to turn to open the door

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Not really familiar with the Paxton, but if you have the I/O available for the functions you need to control and monitor on the unit in question, then it would seem that you should be able to integrate it into a local hardwired relay logic circuit.
As to the motor controller, details on the motor itself would be needed in order to recommend or spec one in.
M.

lee2520

Jun 26, 2018
Not really familiar with the Paxton, but if you have the I/O available for the functions you need to control and monitor on the unit in question, then it would seem that you should be able to integrate it into a local hardwired relay logic circuit.
As to the motor controller, details on the motor itself would be needed in order to recommend or spec one in.
M.
I am waiting for the company to send me the full spec of the motor. All I have is the kN rating and approx 8Amps...... not the most helpful. Thank you for your help