Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Uprate a model servo

Derek66

Sep 23, 2015
I am in the process of building a large model sailing cutter and have built a sail winch driven by a 6v dc motor which is more powerfull than comercially availiable ones.
I need to either uprate somehow or buid a new cct to control this. I intend to use a 10 turn feedback pot as it will rotate 8 turns end to end.
I have a few old Futaba servos that I have stripped down for their boards and idealy would like to uprate the o/p current somehow.
Any Ideas?
Thaks in advance
Derek

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Servos, even from the same manufacturer, vary quite a bit depending on the age.
It would be possible for some to take the clockwise/counterclockwise signal from the servo controller chip and feed into a larger H-bridge to drive your 6v motor.
Also input your 8 turn feedback device to the same controller.
Older servo control boards would be more accessible to changes I would imagine so it depends what servos you have stripped down.
I found the circuit for an S3003 quite readily but I have no idea as to the ability to access the particular controller without first seeing the board.
In some ways it might be easier just to get a sail winch servo, depends on your ability with electronics etc. I would imagine.
I've shown the one I found below as an example.

Attachments

• futabaS3003.gif
    futabaS3003.gif
    37.6 KB · Views: 137

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
Take this linear actuator and connect the output to the winch and then take the output of the electronics to a bridge to drive your motor. It's that simple.
LinearActuator-6.jpg

Derek66

Sep 23, 2015
Servos, even from the same manufacturer, vary quite a bit depending on the age.
It would be possible for some to take the clockwise/counterclockwise signal from the servo controller chip and feed into a larger H-bridge to drive your 6v motor.
Also input your 8 turn feedback device to the same controller.
Older servo control boards would be more accessible to changes I would imagine so it depends what servos you have stripped down.
I found the circuit for an S3003 quite readily but I have no idea as to the ability to access the particular controller without first seeing the board.
In some ways it might be easier just to get a sail winch servo, depends on your ability with electronics etc. I would imagine.
I've shown the one I found below as an example.

Thanks for your help.
I bought the servos 40 years ago. However I am not familiar with H bridges.
My electronics knowlege is limited to building a few op amp projects many years ago..
Would you be able to point me at a suitable component? I would guess it would need to be rated at 3 amp ish.
A comercial servo is no good to me as the one i have buit has a self tailing clutch mechanism on it
Thanks Derek

Derek66

Sep 23, 2015
Take this linear actuator and connect the output to the winch and then take the output of the electronics to a bridge to drive your motor. It's that simple.
View attachment 24740

Thanks for your idea. I had not thought of doing it that way. Would you be able to give me an idea of a cct. My electronis knowledge is very limited.
Thanks for your help.
Derek