Connect with us

Upgrading amps of a circuit to 12A

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by RafBR, Jun 23, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. RafBR

RafBR

Jun 23, 2012
    Hi,
    I did motorize my kid's electric car with a 12v wiper motor that burns out any fuse lower than 12A because of it's high current at start. I think it's running amperage is about 6A.

I found this great circuit that fits almost exactly in what I want, except that it have a bit weak output amperage.
    here is the circuit:
    http://www.soloelectronica.net/dcdc_12v_a_18v.htm

I think this is also great because of the potentiometer for the output current that will be very useful.
    If anyone with such knowledge in electronics could help me to replace a few components that help rising the output power would be perfect!!!
    I also know that for this high current I should enlarge the pcb traces and place loads of solder on it.

best regards!

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi RafBR
    welcome to the forums :)

well if its blowing 12A fuses on startup then a 5A supply as you linked to isnt going to be anywhere near enough, is it ?
    regardless of the current drawn under normal running conditions of the motor, you need a PSU that handle the high start up current

cheers
    Dave

3. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    Have you tried reducing first the dc voltage and the electric car Starting mode. Once car have momentum then switch to +12V.

4. ohfour

ohfour

May 27, 2012
    I don't think reducing the DC voltage will do any good. It will just make the motor more likely to stall and then you really will have a short circuit.

Ask a Question