Connect with us

Unipolar to bipolar

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Manual, Jul 9, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Manual


    Jul 9, 2013
    Please suggest how to make a bipolar output from the unipolar?
    Impulses come from 555 circuit. I have only positive power source (12V DC).
    Please simple scheme if possible

    Attached Files:

  2. KrisBlueNZ

    KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

    Nov 28, 2011
    Hi and welcome to the Electronics Point forums :)

    Note: It's not normal to connect IC pins together by drawing wires on top of the IC symbol. Besides, it looks a bit like a swastika on your 555, and the 555 was designed by a Swiss guy, not a German!

    If you want a bipolar output, there are two ways:

    (a) generate a negative rail - this can be done with a charge pump IC like the ICL7665 (very limited current is available from the rail) or an inverting switching converter;

    (b) measure the voltage with reference to a voltage point between the supply rails.

    What do you want to achieve? There may be a simpler way to do it.
  3. Manual


    Jul 9, 2013
    Sorry about design of circuit.
    I want to feed the transformer (12V 50 Hz). Is it possible to complete my scheme with 3 bipolar transistors to reach the result?
  4. KrisBlueNZ

    KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

    Nov 28, 2011
    If you want to feed the primary of a step-up transformer with a bipolar square wave, the best way is to drive it using an H-bridge. This is an arrangement of four switching devices (transistors or MOSFETs), like two amplifier output stages, with the load connected between them, forming an "H" shape. The same idea as a bridge-tied load in audio applications. But each output stage is either high or low, i.e. digital, not analogue.

    In your case, you want the two sides of the H-bridge to be driven to opposite states. When one side of the H-bridge is high, the other side is low, and voltage is applied across the transformer primary in one direction. On the other half-cycle, the first output is low and the other is high, and voltage is applied across the primary in the opposite direction. Running from a 12V supply you effectively get 24V peak-to-peak across the primary.

    H-bridges are available as single ICs with current ratings up to around 5A. More powerful devices are available but they seem to be very expensive. Have a look at the Digikey selection guide:

    In the "Output configuration" column, select "Full H-Bridge (1) Single" and "Half Bridge (2) Dual". (Ctrl-click to select multiple lines.)
    In the "Current - Output" column, select the current range you need.
    In the "Mounting type" column, if you don't want to use SMT (surface-mount technology), select "Through Hole" only.
    Then check the "In Stock" box and click "Apply Filters".

    Each line in the selection table has a direct link to the IC's data sheet, indicated with the PDF symbol.

    Of course, you can make an H-bridge with four discrete switching components - MOSFETs are best because they are easy to drive and they can have extremely low ON-resistance. But an integrated device is much easier to work with.

    When there's an inductive load involved, it's normal to have a diode across each switching device. Many of these ICs have diodes built-in. Some of the older ones require external diodes.

    Using an H-bridge you also have the option of driving the transformer with a so-called "modified sine wave". Google the term for more information.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day