Maker Pro
Maker Pro

TV Antenna tower service

xEVAN92x

Mar 8, 2013
My house has one of the older 20-25 foot antennas attached to it. I am not very familiar with how they work but I do have a higher than basic knowledge of TV and reception terminology. I moved in with a friend and she told me that it won't pick up any kinda picture. She has it hooked to a digital conversion box and due to location the rabbit ears it came with wont pick up anything. So what we are trying to figure out how to do is optimize the tower antenna to pick up digital TV. I need to know the basics on upkeep, optimization, correct wiring, etc. Maybe a run down on how the digital TV waves work nowadays. Basically my overall goal is to get some TV channels! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

PS its dark outside now but tomorrow when I get off work I will take some pictures if the sun still shines.

Thank you, Evan.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi Evan

welcome to Electronics Point :)

pics would be good
You will need to check over the antenna and the coax cable and see what condition they are in
You havent said what country you are in, so I dont know what sort of antenna you may need for digital ??

Dave

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Location is everything, I run a complete Internet media system at my house so I little use for over the air TV... Don't miss the old analog OTA days one bit, more hassle than it was worth half the time... But just for kicks I picked up a little 8" tall 'mobile' digital antenna for an RV/Car for a few bucks... Took a small whip of coax and set the antenna on the window sill outside... Surprised me but after a scan I was getting 40+ yes 40+ digital stations all from a little whip antenna that wasn't even properly installed... Convinced me that at least in my area big areal antennas of the days long gone are no longer needed the new small digital antennas work magic...

xEVAN92x

Mar 8, 2013
I am in northwest Georgia, USA. the antenna is likely from the 1990's. We are using brand new coax cable. I will get out tomorrow and look over the antenna