Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Turntable strobe

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Good progress :)
Pins 3 and 5 are still accidentally shorted together, and one of the legs for the switching transistor are not connected to anything :( (Leading to another short, but this time of the LEDs)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Again. Getting better :)
-The diode going to Pin 2 on the IC is backwards.
-Pins 4 and 8 on the IC are tied together (great...) but are not connected to V+

Other than that, It's looking really good, and props to staying with it :)

Chris Riddell

Feb 12, 2015
Ok Thanks, This should be it now? I can't believe I forgot to put that IC Voltage connection... Schoolboy error!

Thanks for your input and I will stick at this, I want to be good and get better and better (Get off those breadboards)

PCB_05.jpg

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Ok Thanks, This should be it now? I can't believe I forgot to put that IC Voltage connection... Schoolboy error!

Thanks for your input and I will stick at this, I want to be good and get better and better (Get off those breadboards)

View attachment 20937
I like it, and would call it a job well done. All the connections seems to be spot on.
You can always play and make it smaller if you want. Up to you.

Good job.

Chris Riddell

Feb 12, 2015
Thank you to you all of you on this thread for all your wonderful help, I'll get to making the strobe light PCB next (which im sure I will need a bit of help on).

When its all finished ill get a video up on the final results :)

Again this community has impressed me with all the support -x-

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Chris,

When you post the ExpressPCB pcb files, also post the associated .sch files. Since they're linked, it makes error between the schematic and PCB layout much easier.

Good work!

Ken

Chris Riddell

Feb 12, 2015
Okay Ken I will do next time, Its because I started on the schematic then never finished it and went straight into the PCB, after reading some things on the net I wont do that again.

Here is a smaller version of the board, Hope I didn't ruin anything :p

So after I have done the other PCB's that plug into this what is the best method to getting them made?

PCB_06.jpg

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Okay Ken I will do next time, Its because I started on the schematic then never finished it and went straight into the PCB, after reading some things on the net I wont do that again.

Here is a smaller version of the board, Hope I didn't ruin anything :p

So after I have done the other PCB's that plug into this what is the best method to getting them made?

View attachment 20941
Personal preference.
How 'DIY' do you want to be?

You can use a printer and transfer paper and an etchant to do it all at home, or you can send the plans off to a website to make them for you.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Here is an additional resource for you.
The posts aren't as good as they once were... but
http://hackaday.com/2014/04/08/dirt-cheap-dirty-boards-offers-dirt-cheap-pcb-fab/

Take a look at the comments. Many people spout out their favorite fab house for PCB manufacturing. I suggest you do a quick google for some of them and see what you think.
(I've only ever made my PCBs using the toner transfer method.Then had to drill holes by hand :p)

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Or, to add the Gryd3's options, for simple layouts like yours I use 0.1" grid perf-board with individual solder pads. I make sure all of my component leads align with the 0.1"x0.1" grid in my PCB. Then I use #30 Kynar wire and do point-to-point wiring between pads, following the PCB trace layout. I use heavier gauge wire where needed. Even with a few traced on the top side, those can be moved to the bottom of the perf-board with insulated wire.

Oh, one problem with PCBs created in ExpressPCB is that you have to use their PCB manufacturing facility to get them made. :( Minimum is three identical 3.8"x2.5" PCBs for $51. That's why I use perf-board for small projects like yours, unless I'm going to need several of the same one.

Ken

Last edited:

Chris Riddell

Feb 12, 2015
Yes I've seen the slip up now with ExpressPCB, you need to pay for the Gerber files to be made for you and hardly anybody out there can actually accept PCBExpress files, I'm guessing you have no idea how I can convert these to Gerbers? I might have to switch programs now as i'm not being limited to using a U.S.A service to send me boards...

I may go with your option Ken

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Chris,
There now appear to be other options to get Gerber files from .pcb files.
Google: ExpressPCB to Gerber
I see one will do it for $5. http://www.stewartinstrumentsinc.com/
I haven't tried any of them, but now will have to look into it in the future. :)

Ken

Chris Riddell

Feb 12, 2015
Thanks Ken, i'm going to give making my own a go with chemicals first before going for a more expensive manufactured option