Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Turntable only working on one channel

asks-for-boots

Apr 2, 2015
Hi

I recently purchased an Aiwa Turntable/LP player from eBay, and on the same day found a Sony one in a charity shop for a much lower price. Whilst I've been waiting for the Aiwa to arrive, I've been using the Sony, which has been fine, although the needle is worn out. The Aiwa arrived today, and after re-attaching the drive belt which had come loose in transit, I tried to listen to a vinyl on it using the same preamp I'd been using with the Sony.
The issue is that I can only really hear it in the left, the right channel is very very quiet. This might be fixed by adjusting the balance, however the balance slider on my preamp doesn't work very well. I then proceeded to removing the cover from the turntable, however the wiring is much more complex than that of the Sony's (which was literally about four wires soldered to a little board and motor), so I didn't want to touch it. The RCA cables look in-tact and they're definitely connected to the preamp properly.

The Turntable is an Aiwa PX-E800 and the preamp an Akai AM-A102.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
You may have an electronics issue, but the first thing I'd check is the physical connection to the needle.
Any damage observable in the connections to the needle? Is the needle aligned and properly seated?

asks-for-boots

Apr 2, 2015
You may have an electronics issue, but the first thing I'd check is the physical connection to the needle.
Any damage observable in the connections to the needle? Is the needle aligned and properly seated?

Well I did that which fixed it the channel issue, but now the sound is very loud and distorted, and the arm leans inwards. I feel I've done something horribly wrong. I'm not an expert on turntables as you might guess. Any advice?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
It SOUNDS like the problem was a physical misalignment of either the arm or the needle itself.
That's a critical, sensitive alignment.
What you have, which you probably realize, is the needle now contacting the record at the wrong angle.
I'm not familiar with your turntable's construction. Does it have alignment screws at the rear of the arm?
I have Pioneer turntables and they're adjustable.
I don't think you bent the arm, but your description of angled alignment indicates to me that something is turned, that needs to be readjusted.
Remember that this is a very sensitive alignment. Don't go powerfully twisting the arm while you inspect it.
Look for a way to adjust the angle of the arm at its rear, where it comes up from the chassis.
Any adjustment you make should be done delicately.
This is a matter of carefully realigning the arm, ensuring that the needle contacts the record at the correct angle.
If you don't think you can do that, do you know someone familiar with turntable adjustments?