Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Transformer/Coil

Kavin

Dec 9, 2014
Hello every body,
The figure below is a drawing of a transformer/coil of a circuit I am trying to construct. It does not have any specification or description and I am blowing my head off to find out what sort of transformer this could be. The circuit is a pulse generator and the transformer plays a quite crucial role in it. I'll be grateful if you can help me out.

upload_2014-12-9_20-16-23.png

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi Kavin
welcome

you are trying to construct when you don't have any spec's ??? good luck with the ;)

Seriously, if you don't know what it is you are constructing, how do you expect us to know ?

Dave

Kavin

Dec 9, 2014
Dear Sir,

Surely I know what I'm constructing. It's a pulse generator. I have constructed a number of them. But I have difficulty to understand the specs of this particular coil. The rest is fine. If you understand what it is I appreciate to share your knowledge with me.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

Can you post a schematic please, and any other information you have about the circuit.

Use the "Upload a File" button to attach files to your post.

Kavin

Dec 9, 2014
Hi guys,

As I promised. Here is the schematic. the first part is an Oscillator/Multi vibrator. This is used to rapidly fill up the 200v, 1uf capacitors. what I don't know is that what kind of transformer is needed for this circuit. Should it be a dc-dc, dc-ac or ac-ac transformer. As you can see the input voltage is 36 dc volt which is being oscillated to produce a nice sine wave at the output of the transformer. Your knowledge and effort is most appreciated.

upload_2014-12-10_18-26-17.png

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
what I don't know is that what kind of transformer is needed for this circuit. Should it be a dc-dc, dc-ac or ac-ac transformer. As you can see the input voltage is 36 dc volt which is being oscillated to produce a nice sine wave at the output of the transformer.

OK so now we know you are trying to building a DC to AC voltage inverter

you don't get DC to DC or DC to AC transformers .... transformers work on AC only
The input ( left) side of the transformer is getting an oscillating voltage, which is then being stepped up in voltage by the transformer

your D1,2,3 I assume is supposed to be rectifying back to DC, but D1,2 along with C1,2,3 look more like a voltage doubler

where did you get this circuit from ?
is it supposed to be a voltage doubler after the transformer ? or a rectifier ?

Kavin

Dec 9, 2014
Thanks for the reply.
Yes The circuit after the transformer is both the rectifier and voltage Tripler.
Back to the inverter. I have no knowledge of DC to AC inverters. Does the DC to DC inverter do the job? Like the photo flash inverters?

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
The numbers on the diodes and capacitors will help work out if the output is 100v or 1,000v

Kavin

Dec 9, 2014
As far as i know the DC ti AC converters are quite big in size for this type of circuit. I'm still thinking DC to DC inverters should be the right soloution

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
That circuit is a DC-to-DC inverter. The input is DC (from the 36V battery) and the output is DC (after rectification and tripling).

The transformer operates using AC, as all transformers do. The transistors at the left convert the DC from the battery into AC to drive the transformer, and the rectifier/tripler at the output converts the AC from the transformer back to DC.

You're a bit confused about the different types of inverters. This inverter operates at a fairly high frequency, so the transformer can be relatively small and light. DC-to-AC inverters are designed to power appliances that plug into the wall supply, so they need to operate at line frequency of 50 or 60 Hz. This is why they have large, heavy transformers. (At least the simpler ones do.)

If you want to know about what kind of transformer to use, you need to tell us more about the circuit. What is the output being used for? How much power does the circuit need to deliver?

The small transistors in the oscillator mean that the circit is not ever going to deliver much power. But that circuit can be scaled up easily.

Where did you get the circuit?

What is the output to be used for?

What is the relay for?

Give us any other information you have. Then we may be able to suggest what kind of transformer you should use.

Kavin

Dec 9, 2014
That circuit is a DC-to-DC inverter. The input is DC (from the 36V battery) and the output is DC (after rectification and tripling).

The transformer operates using AC, as all transformers do. The transistors at the left convert the DC from the battery into AC to drive the transformer, and the rectifier/tripler at the output converts the AC from the transformer back to DC.

You're a bit confused about the different types of inverters. This inverter operates at a fairly high frequency, so the transformer can be relatively small and light. DC-to-AC inverters are designed to power appliances that plug into the wall supply, so they need to operate at line frequency of 50 or 60 Hz. This is why they have large, heavy transformers. (At least the simpler ones do.)

If you want to know about what kind of transformer to use, you need to tell us more about the circuit. What is the output being used for? How much power does the circuit need to deliver?

The small transistors in the oscillator mean that the circit is not ever going to deliver much power. But that circuit can be scaled up easily.

Where did you get the circuit?

What is the output to be used for?

What is the relay for?

Give us any other information you have. Then we may be able to suggest what kind of transformer you should use.

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for the reply. I gave a thought to the circuit and I believe I can use a TOROIDAL transformer in reverse to achieve the desired outcome.
Back to the transistors which as you mentioned are fairly weak, can I use 2SC1969 MOSFET or any other similar transistors instead?
And regarding the output of the circuit, I would like to be able to turn on an a flash tube like the ones used in cameras but in a larger scale.

your insight to this is greatly appreciated.

Kavin

Dec 9, 2014
And the other thing, which just crossed my mind is that what difference does it make regarding the transistors, as the outcome voltage from the oscillator will be stepped up by the transformer.

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
Answer the rest of my questions and I'll start answering yours!

Kavin

Dec 9, 2014
If you mean the relay, it is quits obvious that it is used for discharging the capacitors. I believe you should have figured it out by now.

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
It's not obvious that the relay is being used to discharge the capacitors because you don't show what it is connected to! Actually you have shown it in series with the capacitors, not in parallel.

Here are the questions from previous posts that you have not answered.
  • Where did you get the circuit?
  • How much power does the circuit need to deliver?
  • Give us any other information you have.

Kavin

Dec 9, 2014
My dear friend. We are not here to interrogate each other. For some obvious reasons I do not like the way you respond. I always have believed that the knowledge should be shared and the internet seems to be a fairly suitable media to serve the purpose. I asked a technical question. You either no the answer and willing to share it with me or you don't. I am not obliged to answer all your curiosities and the same way you are not under any obligation to answer mine. From the beginning your approach wasn't neither friendly nor appropriate. Why you should care where I've got the schematic from or what any other information would you possibly require!!!!!!!
I'll sort this out one way or another.
wish you a better social manner.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Kavin

Kris and I both asked similar questions that you did not answer.
We don't ask questions just for the fun of it and to waste time
They are designed to determine more information about your background knowledge of electronics
as well as finding out more info about an oddly drawn circuit

The answers give us a better idea of what is going on so that info can be presented to you in a way you will understand
with your level of knowledge of electronics

cheers
Dave

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
Kavin.

I'm very forthcoming and helpful with people who co-operate! The thing is, I asked those questions because I think the answers could help me understand your requirements better, and provide more appropriate answers.

I see a great deal of time wasted on these forums when people answer based on assumptions that they have made about the question, which turn out to be wrong. This is why I like to get as much information from the OP (you) as possible before I write a thousand-word answer.

I find it quite frustrating to have my questions go unanswered and to be bombarded with further questions that I can't give proper answers to until I know more about the situation.