Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Testing Projector Lamp with CCFL Tester?

warf135

May 21, 2011
I''m just wondering if it would be possible to test a projector lamp with a CCFL tester.

My thinking is, that a projector lamp uses a high voltage to create an arc and light up the high pressure gas inside, and my CCFL tester puts out a high voltage and is probably strong enough to make an arc (its capable of lighting 42" CCFL's)

The only problem i can think of is (from what i read) that the projectors lighting circuit starts at a high voltage to create the arc, and then reduces the voltage to a lower level. the CCFL tester is constant voltage.

Personally i don't think the projector lamp is blown (as i could not detect voltage at its connector) so i don't wanna buy a new lamp for £150 and then find its a fault with the lighting circuit. So it would be handy if i could test the lamp somehow...

Anyone know if the CCFL tester idea would work? -Cheers, Norm.

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
When you say a projector bulb I'm assuming you mean a xenon lamp. A typical xenon lamp operates from about 15 to 45 volts @ about 50 amps. The starting voltage is from about 20KV to 50KV. A cfl operates around 900 volts @ about 27mA and has a starting voltage of not much more than 1KV. So the short answer is no. The only think I can think of is to make a 45KV pulse inductive kick pulse generator and see if the lamp flashes.

warf135

May 21, 2011
Thanks for the reply John, I'm not sure which technology the projector lamp is, it could well be a xenon lamp. All i know is a replacement one is £LOTS OF MONEY! (The projector is a Philips bSure SV2 LC3132)

I had thought my CCFL tester was putting out about 32kv but i must be wrong then :-( nevermind.

I'm 99% sure that the lamp is ok, so i'll investigate the circuit board that powers it and see what i find.