Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Supply current in relation to the total current consumed by a circuit

firstoption

Mar 8, 2014
Good day to all,
Please I need your support and guide on how to get the required current to my circuit.The power supply I intend to use has a switching regulator (RT8289GSP ) with output voltage of 5V/5A(based on the current configuration of the switching regulator-application note from datasheet).However the total current consumed by my circuit is less than 1A(Attiny2313-1pc/tlc5971-4pcs/Max232-1pc/ftdichip2232).According to the datasheet,the switching regulator can output up to 5A which means that the output current can be adjusted just like the output voltage.But after going through the datasheet ,the only formular relating to current is this:Irms=I(out)max Vout/Vin√Vin/Vout-1.The idea of Irms coming into this equation is what actually confused me.i do not know how to figure it out so that I can get the desired output current.My knowledge of electronics is still very limited,i will really appreciate your guide on how I can solve this problem as I can not supply the 5A which the regulator outputs now (based on the current configuration) to the circuit.once again thank you for the support.best regards.

Divedeep

Feb 2, 2014
The current output from the power supply will not damage your circuit in any way.

The voltage is the important value here.

Your PSU volatge is 5v with the ability to supply 5Amps.

Your circuit voltage i assume will be 5v also. This means that your circuit will only draw what it requires to function. in your case <1Amp.

Hope this helps :)

firstoption

Mar 8, 2014
Sir thank you for the response to my question.i really appreciate your kind gesture.you really captured my mind.i actually thought the 5A will destroy the components on the board that was why I was looking for ways to adjust the output current.Yes,the components operate on 5V,they are all within the output voltage range.once again thank you for the support.
Best regards.

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
If you want to play it safe wire a 1A fuse in series with the 5V supply going to your circuit. That way, if something goes wrong (short circuit or something), the fuse blows rather than something drawing the full 5A and releasing the magic smoke from your circuit.