Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sound problem older Mitsubishi tv

[email protected]

Jan 23, 2010
Hello,

I have a mitsubishi CK-35fx2 tv that is around15 years old. The picture is great but lately when we turn the tv on the sound either doesn't come on OR it comes on for a few seconds or a minute and then stops. Is this something that can be easily/cheaply fixed for under $100? Please help as this is the "kids" tv and they are driving us crazy!

Thanks in advance!

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I don't know if you're an electronics tech or not. Typically I've found on the old Mitsubishi's, that a small capacitor fries on the audio printed circuit board. If you are knowledgeable about these things, take the cover off, follow the speaker wires back, and
you'll probably find a burned capacitor close to where the speaker wires connect to the printed circuit board. If that's the case, you still won't know the value of the capacitor, because it'll be burned-up. Believe it or not, a lot of the manufacturers (but they only go back so many years), put their circuit schematics on-line for free.
If you don't know how to service electronics, I don't recommend trying this yourself.
A shop will fix it for under $100,... but your TV is not going to last much longer after that anyway,... so if I was you, I'd just get a new or used replacement TV. Used ones go for pretty cheap anymore.
If you've got a bad audio amplifier, it'll still cost you less than $100 at a TV shop,... but I wouldn't put that kind of money in a TV as old as yours.