Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solar Dragsters project - need advice

dbzeroone

Feb 26, 2013
Hello everyone!

I'm researching the feasibility of an idea I had for a school science fair project. I want to make little solar drag racers to demonstrate the concepts of light -> electricity with a photovoltaic cell and how capacitors work.

My knowledge of electronics is very limited. I only understand the concepts of how components work (caps, resistors, etc).

The cars are based on this: http://blog.makezine.com/2012/05/03/build-a-fun-solar-roller-or-symet-beam-bot-this-weekend/

That project isn't very exciting though because the vehicle barely moves. When the caps discharge, it moves about 10mm every 5 seconds or so.

I would like to make them faster, either by discharging the caps more frequently or with a bigger discharge. They would be powered by a 4.5v 90mA solar cell. Any suggestions?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
well the power generated and that is discharged by the cap is goverened by the solar panel
so 3 choices....

much more light or
bigger solar panel or
both

if what is seen in the video is the same as what you are getting with your one
and it looks like its outside in the sun?
then a bigger solar panel is your only choice

Dave

dbzeroone

Feb 26, 2013
My solar cell is larger than the one in the video. Also, the motor BobK suggested below looks like a perfect match for it! Thanks for the help guys!