Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solar charged LED light project

Crick

Jun 12, 2012
Hi folks! New to this forum and thought i'd ask for some advice on a project i'm helping a friend with. He's a bit of an artist and wants to build a solar powered LED light to shine a beam through a prism for an installation and he has asked me to build it for him.
My circuit design isn't great (haven't had to design any type of circuit since my electronics HND back in 2007!) but i've plenty of experience in PCB manufacture and a few home projects building and fixing synths etc.
I've done a bit of googling and found a few circuits that i thought i might be able to modify to suit this project.

Basically it has to use solar power to charge a battery that powers the circuit and he wants it to be able to run permanently i.e. (day and night) so it'd probably have to be a high capacity battery but it only has to power an LED light so it shouldn't use to much charge.

I was thinking of using this circuit and modifying it to suit. What i'd want to know is two things, would this circuit suit and if so, how should i modify it?

Thanks in advance for any help! I know it seems a bit lazy of me but I can't remember much at all about circuit design! :eek:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The circuit looks not bad.
What are the specs of the LED-lamp and of the solar panel? What battery are you planning to use?

Harald

Crick

Jun 12, 2012
I actually haven't looked into the specs yet. Physically it'd have to be light and small as it'll be placed in trees in a forest so I doubt I'll be able to use a large battery.

Solar panel wise I'm not sure, I could probably just use the 12v solar panel mentioned in that link and modify the circuit to put out a low voltage for an LED.

The light would need to be a single LED but a bright one so it'd probably need to be along the lines of this http://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/visible-led/7344751/

Nice and cheap and hopefully bright enough. Would I need some extras to add an LED to the output of the circuit?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
That is a pretty bright LED. If you run it off a 6V battery, you will only need a resistor to complete the circuit. The forward voltage of the LED is 3.8V so the resistor needs to drop (6-3.8) = 2.2V at 30ma, which, translates to

V = I R

2.2 = 0.03 R

73 = R.

An 82 Ohm resistor would be a good choice, running it a little below the max.

Bob